« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

15XX Pannier (Paddington) Castings/Patterns

Sundodger

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 11th Oct 2012, 9:22pm
15XX Pannier (Paddington) Castings/Patterns

I am about to commence building a 15XX Pannier based on the David Adams design and would like to know if anyone knows of any suppliers of parts and castings other than "The World's Largest Stockists of Model Engineering Supplies" as their prices for some of the castings seem rather expensive.

I have visited the Pattern Bank to no avail so would be interested if anyone has any patterns for the 15XX that I could borrow, hire or possibly buy.

Replies To This Post

ianholder

Topics: 0

Replies: 4

Posted: Sat 13th Oct 2012, 5:58pm

I have just looked on the "WLSofMES" site and to say the prices are rather expensive is understating it. As an aside I looked at the prices for the GWR Mogul I designed some years ago and I could not afford to build it now.
Lets see what you really need, wheels are the main thing and someone may well turn up with what you need in the way of patterns now you've started this thread.You certainly dont need castings for frame stretchers and angles, these are much better and more prototypical fabricated. Hornblocks look good cast but they too can be fabricated. The cylinders can be simplyfied and machined out of continuous castiron blocks, this is not as frightening as it may seem, continuous cast iron machines easily and you will not end up with a blow hole at the last minute. Looking at the other castings listed, most can be easily fabricated or machined from solid with out a lot of difficulty.
One item stands out of the list of castings, however, the brake hangers at nearly £250-00 for 6 lost wax items about 4"long! I don't think I need to say anything about this, anybody reading this will be able to read my mind!
Don't be put of by the prices, there are ways round everything, and by the time you have got a set of fabricated frames on the bench you will have worked them out.
Regards Ian

jakdaw

Topics: 0

Posted: Sun 14th Oct 2012, 7:51am

I'm building a 'Paddington', but the drawings that came with the frames are faded in parts.
The details that I need are a. Bottom left Sheet 4 - brake pull rods, adjusters etc.
b. Bottom left sheet 8 the weighshaft details.
Can anyone help with these details either by e'mail photograph or photocopy. All expenses covered of course.
Thanks in anticipation, jakdaw

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Tue 16th Oct 2012, 6:39pm

For any parts that are a constant thickness you might like to look at laser cutting, my brake hangers worked out at about a tenth of that in 6mm plate, ready to fit. My whole loco, DON, (petrol mechanical), is made from laser cut steel, which gives an idea of what can be acheived with a bit of 'lateral thinking'. Regards, Colin

Sundodger

Topics: 1

Posted: Tue 23rd Oct 2012, 11:23pm

Thanks all, I had already decided on fabrication for the stretchers etc. and machining from solid cast for some of the castings. I was at the Midlands show last week and had a chat with the guys at Polly models regarding their finescale GWR standard castings. They believe that they may be able to help and hopefully when they get back from the Sandown show I may have some good news. Watch this space!

jakdaw, if you contact me offline on don.cooper@talktalk.net I may be able to help you out with your drawing issue.

85B

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Thu 3rd Oct 2013, 6:12pm

Just logged onto the forum and picked up your interest in 'Paddington'. Sorry for being a year late. I am building the same locomotive and a few years ago I was in contact with a gentleman from Worksop who supplied me with castings - Brake Hangers, Wheels, Cylinders and Covers (based on the 'Speedy' design) and Brake Cylinder at a fraction of the WLSofMES prices. He was also able to supply stretchers, Smokebox Rings and Door but I never purchased these as I had already bought these from WLSofMES. If you contact me offline on eighty5b@btinternet.com I can give you further information, if required.

85B

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Tue 21st Oct 2014, 12:25pm

Polly Model Engineering produce a number of Lost Wax castings for their locomotives which are the same as those required by 'Paddington' and are at prices substantially below the prices charged by other suppliers, i.e. Brake Hangar Brackets £42 (£177), Brake Hangars £66 (£260), Brake Blocks £42 (£184), Brake Shaft Split Inner Bearing and Inside Weightshaft Split Bearing (same casting) £12 (£72).

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot