« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

56T Consett Ore Wagon

Plane Blue

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Wed 12th Oct 2016, 6:33pm
56T Consett Ore Wagon

Hoping to build several 56T Consett Ore Wagons in 7 1/4 gauge, I have been trying to find any drawings that might be available - either prototype or scale. I have had no success so far other than finding many photos and a little descriptive text of the sentimental kind.

Does anyone perhaps know of any drawings or other technical information that might be of use?

I am planning to visit the UK in a couple of weeks and will pop into the National Archive where they seem to have a relevant document.I am wondering if a visit to the NRM might also be fruitful although I can find nothing in the catalogues on their website.

Basic spec:-
Wagon numbers:B 446000 to B 446029
Diagram:1/182
Lot: 2312
Built: 1951 Shildon

Any information or leads will be most welcome.

John

Replies To This Post

Richard_Langford

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Fri 14th Oct 2016, 9:51pm

I don't know if this is much use to you, i found it quite interesting and hopefully you will agree worthy of sharing.

http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=1459

Plane Blue

Posted: Sat 15th Oct 2016, 5:21am

Thanks for that Richard.

Indeed your link is interesting even though in such small scale. I will contact the kit supplier and see if he is willing to share any information.

In the meantime, I have found out that the NRM has the Diagram 1/182 referenced in my original post. I don't know of how much use it will be, but will visit to the NRM and find out.

Thanks again, it is encouraging to get a response.

Richard_Langford

Topics: 10

Replies: 37

Posted: Sun 16th Oct 2016, 5:52pm

Be sure toi contact the NRM before your visit, the archive is a wonderful source for information but it can be very busy and it is run by volunteers. Access to documents is very limited unless you make prior arrangements. This is a fact which i personally discovered during a disappointing research trip to the NRM where i was not able to view all the documents i wanted because i had just turned up and had not made proper arrangements.

Good luck, i hope they have what you need!

Plane Blue

Posted: Wed 19th Oct 2016, 5:09am

Your point regarding NRM is well noted, and I have initiated contact with them. The problem is of course that I cannot tell them drawing numbers that I need - in fact I don't even know if drawings exist!

I did find a Diagram (courtesy of Barrowmore MRG website, but this gives only overall dimensions. It does identify bogie wheelbase (5'6"), and from this and pictures I am starting to think that the bogies are the GWR-style plate bogies for which I might be able to identify drawings in the NRM lists.

I also found a document in the National Archive at Kew that includes one drawing sheet - I have ordered a copy of the drawing (total cost almost £20, just to see if it is useful or not - won't be doing to much of that).

Living in Slovenia has its challenges when it comes to this exercise - a wasted visit to the NRM is an unaffordable luxury, and the following thoughts occur:

1. I have compiled a searchable index of all known prototype drawings for the BR Standard Steam locos, it runs on my internal website and has allowed me to identify exactly which drawings I need for my BR 9F project. I wonder if members would find it useful if I made this available? I might even extend to cover other locos.

2. while there are hundreds of articles about building accurate scale replicas of locomotives, there are almost none about doing the same for freight wagons. Perhaps, if I am successful in my venture with the Ore Wagon I can write an article about it for the "News".

Thanks again for your input Richard.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot