« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

7¼ Gauge diesel class 08 shunter?

08Matt

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Sat 30th Jul 2011, 2:11am
7¼ Gauge diesel class 08 shunter?

Hi guys, new to the hobbie and im really enjoying it so far. Bassicly im looking for an 7¼ Gauge class 08 shunter, dose anyone know anyone who makes them, or any good places to try and have a look?! anything between £1000-5000 is what im looking at.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Replies To This Post

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 28

Posted: Sat 30th Jul 2011, 7:33am

Hi Matt - Pleased to see you're enjoying your 'sevenandaquartering'!
There are at least three suppliers who currently offer the Class 08 Diesel (battery/electric powered). Check out some of the advertisers in the 'News', or visit this website's Clubs, Railways & Trade section to link from there - you are sure to find what you are searching for.
You may even find a nice loco offered privately, by specifying your requirement via a 'Want' ad.
Any Society member can place an ad. (free) in 'Sales & Wants' on this website (non-members pay a fee). If submitted by 1st August, this will also be included in the written 'Notices' accompanying the Autumn 'News' (ads. must include a contact No or email address).
Good Luck!
Best Wishes,
Frank Sidebottom
(Committee Member)

Rob Walker

Topics: 6

Replies: 12

Posted: Sat 30th Jul 2011, 1:45pm

Hi Matt

try graham prestwich engineeering from the clubs, railways and trade section he does a ready to run loco and is extremely well designed

what part of the country are you from, are you a member of a local club?

Rob

08Matt

Posted: Sat 30th Jul 2011, 9:48pm

Im from northern ireland, and i hope to rejoin my local club in county down. Can i just ask, what is better battery or electric powered?? also would it be poissable to get this loco petrol powered?

many thanks,

matt

franksidebottom

Topics: 4

Replies: 28

Posted: Sun 31st Jul 2011, 7:09am

The 08 locos readily available from commercial suppliers are all electric powered, using 12v batteries to power the motor(s). This tried and tested system is also used in many other types of loco. Battery technology has advanced rapidly in recent years; of several types available, many are well-suited to our hobby requirements!

Petrol power is likely only to be available if a model has been made privately, or if specially contracted from a commercial supplier (in which case you may exceed your stated budget!). Space limitations 'under the bonnet' would affect the size of a petrol engine and other controls able to be fitted inside the 08 scale
outline, so a model may have to be 'scaled up' to provide space for an engine of suitable power.

Ask your fellow club members for their opinions, too - plenty of food for thought should result!
Frank

08Matt

Posted: Sun 31st Jul 2011, 9:53pm

Thanks for the help boys, i am quite taken with that little Vulcan so ill get to it and post pictures in the near future.

Thanks,

Matt

king6024

Replies: 12

Posted: Sun 31st Jul 2011, 10:06pm

hi matt
i built a petrol o8 a few years ago using the honda 5hp and the eaton 7 box with no problem
i sold it to a frend in my local club and it is still in regular use
mark

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot