Sign In above to begin adding replies.

7 1/4 Bridget working pressure

chr15

Topics: 9

Replies: 8

Posted: Thu 4th Aug 2011, 9:09pm
7 1/4 Bridget working pressure

Hello
Another question regarding the part built Bridget we purchaced (Sorry Folks)
I am a bit confused over what the working pressure should be as there is not line on the gauge for starters
The Boiler had a test at Western Steam after they did some work on it at 180psi, which would indicate 120 psi working, which also relates to what is on the origonal drawings by Ken swan.

BUT, this boiler also then a year later, not ever been installed had a hydro test at a southern fed affiliated club and the details they put on that certificate was 80 psi working and a test to 120psi

Now looking at as many pictures as I can find on the internet of Bridgets with gauges visable, I see the lines indicated at 80psi, with 1 I found at 90psi
There is also a bridget in the archives at Station Road Steam and the description states 80psi

Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated as am getting the boiler hydo tested on Sunday and obviously need to get the right working PSI sorted

Thanks in advance

Chris

Replies To This Post

Narrowgauge7.25

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 7:04am

If it is built to the drawings then it should be good for the design pressure. Your boiler tester of course would have to be happy with the proposed working pressure, which he should be if it is built correctly.

chr15

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 7:51am

Hello
Western steam must have thought the quality and construction was good for them to do a 180psi test.
Is there any advantages of running at a Higher pressure or would the Bridget happily operate at 80psi working pressure.
Looking at other pictures I have found it seems 80psi on a Bridget is quite common.
Many Thanks
Chris

chr15

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 8:25am

Hello
Western steam must have thought the quality and construction was good for them to do a 180psi test.
Is there any advantages of running at a Higher pressure or would the Bridget happily operate at 80psi working pressure.
Looking at other pictures I have found it seems 80psi on a Bridget is quite common.
Many Thanks
Chris

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 10:01am

Chris, it is possible that Western tested to double W.P. if they had just completed a structural repair to the boiler, i.e. treated it as a new one.

king6024

Topics: 1

Replies: 12

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 1:03pm

hi chris
as a club inspector it is normal to do a double w/p test when any repairs are carryed out on a boiler this is in the boiler test book so your w/p should be 90 psi and retest will be 135 psi as long as no repairs are made in the future
hope this helps
mark

doncottle

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2011, 7:19pm

On my Bridget I believe the working pressure was 80 p.s.i. the boiler is quite big enough, & steamed well enough. Your biggest problem will be keeping the boiler well supplied with water! As I may have said on this page,(or others). Some of this design only have an inch or so of water visible at any one time. Therefore if you can devise a way of having a slightly longer glass on the backhead, showing more water space you will not regret it. Admitedly you will still have the same amount of water in the boiler, but YOU WILL see more of it! (I managed about 1/4" or 3/8", but better than before)!

chr15

Posted: Mon 8th Aug 2011, 5:51am

Thanks for the Replies
Having spoken to several people and reading replies etc, I decided on the 80 psi working pressure.

The club testers hydro tested for a 90psi workign pressure, so that we can then do the steam test when all back together at 80psi, but then if we feel we need to go up to 90psi then this can be done with another steam test and not have to hydro to the higher psi as already done.
regards
Chris

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot