chr15

Topics: 9

Replies: 8

Posted: Sun 2nd Oct 2011, 8:43am
A few tips required on my Bridget project PLEASE

A few tips required on my Bridget project PLEASE
Hello
I have posted before regarding my Bridget rebuild for a pile of bits purchased

Yesterday was the first test of steaming it up and came up against a few issues I would like some advice on please.

Firstly the tanks leaked slightly, they were not gushing water out and to be honest you could quite easily run with the amount they were leaking, but I would like to stop these leaks
What would anyone sugest to paint on the inside of the tanks to seal them up ?
It has been suggested some Helditite !!

The water gauge was new and came with 2 silicone type seals to seal the glass, once upto tempreture these failed, causing us to drop the fire etc.
What is the best to seal up gauge glasses ?

A leak on one of the boiler feed valves but that should be just a case of whipping it out and a bit a PTFE tape maybe !!

The other thing is a leak on the regulator control shaft in the cab, is that ok to seal that with gland packing ?

Sorry for the huge onslaught of questions, and many thanks in advance for some answers

Regards
Chris

Replies To This Post

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Sun 2nd Oct 2011, 7:53pm

I can't help with advice on the steam related problems, I will leave that to the experts, but maybe I can offer advice on the tank leaks. When I built my car I also made the petrol tanks, and once finished I added a quantity of 'gas tank sealer' from a kit car supplier. It had to be sloshed round and poured out, then left to set overnight before use. Fifteen years on they are still leak free. Provided that you can remove the tanks to slosh the mixture round this should cure the leaks. Another method that I have used is a half and half mix of PVA glue and water with a drop of washing up liquid added. Again it has to be sloshed round and poured out but it wicks into all the gaps and sets, and is slightly flexible. I have not tried it on water tanks however. Hope this helps, Colin Edmondson

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 3rd Oct 2011, 7:04am

Chris,
Leaking tanks: I have heard of people who have used petrol tank sealer (as above) and it works. I have also seen evo-stik or PVA used. However, the latter need the tank to be rust free, most petrol tanks sealers, while expensive, contain a mild rust remover.
Silicone seals on the gauge glass - useless. I forget the temperature silicone melts at but it's far too low. Use viton o-rings, or ptfe.
Leak on the boiler feed: PTFE tape if you like, or a spot of foliac.
Weeping gland: tighten a little (while cold), if that doesn't help then replace the (worn out) gland packing. I prefer PTFE string to graphited yarn - much cleaner and easier!
Regards
Peter

chr15

Topics: 9

Replies: 8

Posted: Mon 10th Oct 2011, 7:11am

Hello
Thanks for the replys
The loco is all up and running now with a steam test all completed
A short clip at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTeMHhJB-Po

Regards