« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Bagnall 0-4-0ST No.2623 'Hawarden'

stuartcompton

Topics: 4

Replies: 10

Posted: Wed 12th May 2010, 7:36pm
Bagnall 0-4-0ST No.2623 'Hawarden'

Anybody know if Bagnall 0-4-0ST No.2623 'Hawarden' (or one of her sisters) has been modelled to 7.25in gauge? Were drawings made available? Any info please. Thanks.

Replies To This Post

BPearce

Topics: 0

Replies: 8

Posted: Wed 30th Jun 2010, 2:12pm

I don't know if there has ever been a 7 1/4" gauge model of the Bagnall "Harwarden" built but I do know for definite that there is a 5" gauge model of her. In the early 70s I was her fireman at foxfield when she belonged to Allan Baker ( Author of many books on Bagnalls with co author Allen Civil ) Alan Bakers father Steve Baker was chairman of the North Staffs Model Engineers and a well know local builder of engines upto 5" gauge. He built the model of "Harwarden" from scratch and used to run it at the North Stafs track in Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

stuartcompton

Posted: Thu 15th Jul 2010, 8:36pm

Ah, so this would be the one pictured on the running board of the original in Allan's 'Industrial Railway Record' (No.50 P102/8) outside the shed at Shelton in '72. I've been in contact with Foxfield and as soon as time allows will be arranging to visit 'Harwarden' with the tape measure (although as a full set of works drawings exist I hope there won't be too much clambering around). (Apologies for the delay in replying - 'net has been kapput for a while). :o)

Bob Pearce

Topics: 0

Replies: 8

Posted: Fri 16th Jul 2010, 1:29pm

Yes Stuart you are correct the 5" gauge model of "Harwarden" was pictured on the running board of the full size loco at Shelton Iron & Steel shed in 72. It also appeared in as short film at Foxfield in the 70s where the model was put into the four foot and a car tyre pump attached. Allan Baker then attempted to pump up the model, there was then a cut in the film with the caption "5 Minutes Later" and it was then cut to the full size loco with the car tyre pump still attached and Allan still pumping. Best of luck with your model and give my regards to the old gang up at Foxfield when you go measuring.

stuartcompton

Posted: Fri 16th Jul 2010, 8:57pm

Bob, I'll certainly pass on your regards as and when I get to Foxfield. Thanks for the background on 'Harwarden' - when there's some progress I'll post it up on the site. All the best. Stu.

stuartcompton

Posted: Sun 15th Aug 2010, 10:17pm

Bob, I've just visited Foxfield and started the ball rolling. You may be interested to know that 'Harwarden' is due to start undergoing a 'major' possibly as early as October/November. If you email me at andreagoodson@ntlworld.com I'll keep you posted in greater detail. All the best. Stu.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot