« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Berkley fire door

jimnolan

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Fri 12th Aug 2011, 11:28am
Berkley fire door

I am after some drawings of a Berkley butterfly fire door. I have a very good GA but I don’t have anything on how the doors are geared or how the handle opening mechanism works with the doors.

Any help appreciated

Jim

Replies To This Post

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Sun 13th Nov 2011, 2:53am

Hello, Jim:

I'm not familiar with the Berkley door, but we had working, air operated, Franklin Butterfly Fire Doors on our 15" gauge locos at Wisconsin Dells.

I would expect that the designs are similiar. The two doors are geared together behind the air cylinder. We made the gears by boring out a spur gear to fit the curve of the door castings, and screwing sections of it to each door. If the Berkley is air operated, as the Franklin, there is a link on the back side of the air piston which attaches to an ear at the top of the right hand door. When the air pressure is admitted, the link pulls on the right door, which also opens the left. The manual handle was a rod with an eye on one end. The eye fitted around the cylindrical section of a (sort of) lever, which pivoted on the right hand door pivot stud. When the handle was pushed down, it caused the lower end of the lever to push against a pin sticking out of the face of the right hand door, which opened both doors in the same manner as the air cylinder. There was a quadrant on the front of the air cylinder which had a couple of notches, one for part open and one for fully open, where the handle hooked to hold the door.

I hope this helps, if you need more information, I "may" have a drawing in my files at home.

Best,

Mike

jimnolan

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 4th Feb 2012, 9:49am

Mike,

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not responding earlier. I have been locked out of the site since last year. Due entirely to me I hasten to add fat fingers and small keys I am guessing.

Since my original post I have had some good responses from both my web site and other forums I posted the question in. I now have enough information and drawings to produce the fire door as a rapid prototype and some castings from there. I got an article from Live steam for a Franklin door in 1.5 scale and once I got a drawing of the door for the Berkley showing the gear arrangement as you say there is not that much difference.

Jim

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Sun 5th Feb 2012, 3:31pm

Hi Jim....

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Best,

Mike

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot