« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Black Five (Highlander)

allandew

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Mon 10th Oct 2011, 3:22pm
Black Five (Highlander)

Dicussions in the past have raised discrepancys with drawings for miniature steam locomotives. Can the forum have a special section for each locomotive were builders past and present can pass on information to prevent costly and frustrating mistakes being repeated on every new loco built. Also a means of builders being able to contact other willing members building a similar locomotive for discussions and assistance?

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Wed 12th Oct 2011, 7:04pm

I have always thought this was an interesting issue for model engineers, but more importantly, for the suppliers in the trade. The 64 thousand dollar question is simple: why do they continue to sell drawings which they know are wrong? Mistakes occur in drawings of course, but they should be corrected as soon as the error is pointed out. Is it because we are involved in a hobby rather than business that we have tolerated this situation for so long? Perhaps it needs a brave model engineer to buy the drawings and castings etc, start work on the project, then when it goes wrong, sue the supplier of the drawings for the cost of putting it right, or maybe make a complaint under the Trades Description Act with Trading Standards. There should not be the need for the kind of special section as you suggest. As a final thought why not ask your supplier if the drawings are accurate, and see what their response is!

allandew

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Thu 13th Oct 2011, 10:52am

I agree with what you are saying but l bought my drawings and castings from Reeves who no longer exist, l am therefore like many others having to make the best of a bad job. The way forward is for people who have either built the engine or are in the process warning others of erros, at this years AGM at Swindon l learnt the motion brackets in the wrong place, parts of the boiler need modifing. How many other erros are there? I sent for all the back issues with the corrections but even more are obviosly still within the design. Having a dedicated section for builders of well known models to exchange information and be able to down load the list would give a lot more confidence to people rejoining the modeling hobby, and we would not be building in total isolation from other modelers of the model under construction.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 17th Oct 2011, 8:32am

I understand your situation if it was the old Reeves firm. But as a matter of interest have you tried asking Reeves 2000 if they have corrected the drawings?

Graham Burhouse

Topics: 4

Replies: 13

Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2011, 4:28pm

Hi Allan, I dont think there needs to be a special section for drawing problems. As you can see from the question you asked it is now under the general title ENGINES & ROLLING STOCK, sub section BLACK FIVE (HIGHLANDER), which you created, surely anyone who is interested and looking for information on this engine is going to look in this section. How can the webmaster foresee which engines to make sections for, it is only when these problems come to light that a topic is raised.
Webmaster

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot