« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Bolebroke Castle Charles/Linda

denismulford

Topics: 4

Replies: 24

Posted: Mon 2nd Dec 2013, 10:59pm
Bolebroke Castle Charles/Linda

My son and I have today purchased a mass of rusting metal, (well according to the wife anyway), that was once a Hunslet Locomotive at Bolebroke Castle. It's name plates say that it is called "Charles" but I believe that it went under the name or was going to be rebuilt as "Linda". I think there were 2 Charles's on the railway.

There are bits missing like one of the springs, rods on one side and the cab but we hope to rebuild it to somewhere near it's former glory.

I was just wondering, be it a long shot, does anyone know where any bits for it may be but more importantly does anyone have any information on the history of the locomotive as to when it was made and by who, any details would be great.

Regard and thanks

Denis Mulford

Replies To This Post

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Mon 2nd Dec 2013, 11:11pm

Denis,

As far as I am aware the late Jeff Stubbs built the first loco of this class. This spawned some members at the time at Wakefield to build more of the class. I stand to be corrected but I think that Sid Bennett built two and Randy Blackburn built one. The first of the Sid Bennett locos went to Brett Rogers and Brett also purchased Randy's loco which went to the Betws-y-coed railway museum. Both locos have since moved on and Charles was Bretts in black and the Betws-y-coed engine was in a blue colour. The original Linda may well still be in the ownership of someone at the Wakefield club. If you want to have a chat give me a ring or pm me through secretary. There are other locos from Bolebrokje I would like to know about. If the Charles is Bretts old engine it ran like clockwork.

John Nicholson

John Nicholson - Secretary

denismulford

Posted: Tue 3rd Dec 2013, 11:32pm

John,

Many thanks I will be in touch soon.

Denis

Wotsoccurring

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 5th Dec 2013, 1:15pm

Hi Denis
My brother Peter Carr has possibly built the Charles you have bought.He ran it at Wakefield for many years.
He definitely sold it to the people at Bolebroke castle.
Peter has sadly passed away, but I may be able to find some information and may be some photos for you.
Regards
Tim Carr

denismulford

Posted: Thu 5th Dec 2013, 10:04pm

Tim,

Many thanks for getting back to me and any information that you can find would be great. The loco is in a sorry state but hopefully it will be back and running soon.

Denis Mulford.

stoneleigh

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Sat 7th Dec 2013, 11:00pm

I went there some years ago & was shown by a regular member (2) locos. in a brick outhouse just along from the front door.(I think through an arch & on the R/H side. They were supposed to be Bullied Pacifics (I think). Anyway did you try looking in there for your missing parts?
I mention this because it seemed to me to have been a likely place for working on locos. or storing items. (Sent in the hope you have luck anyway).

denismulford

Posted: Wed 11th Dec 2013, 8:02pm

Stoneleigh,

Many thanks for that but I bought the Locomotive from Maxitrack and not Bolbroke so I never went to the site. They also have the two Bullied Pacific loco.

Denis Mulford

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Wed 11th Dec 2013, 11:36pm

Denis,

Just to put another piece into your jigsaw -I can confirm that there were, indeed, two Charles's bought by Bolebroke, and that the plan was to rename one of them Linda, after painting it FR green. This is yours, the one that was taken apart for a 'rebuild' several years ago but never actually rebuilt.

Peter

denismulford

Posted: Thu 12th Dec 2013, 11:01pm

Peter,

That is I think totally correct, the loco we have was going to be rebuilt as Linda.
I think that it was taken apart for a rebuild during 2007 and was never rebuilt. Unfortunately it has lost the Cab, Tender, 1 x spring and rods on 1 side but most of the rest is still there and we have spent the last couple of weeks cleaning it all up and shot blasting the rust away so it all looks a lot healthier now. If anyone knows of the missing bits I would be grateful, I will willingly buy them but we are not too worried if we have to make them.

Through this forum I have found out that the loco was built in 1995 by the late Peter Carr of Leeds and I thanks all that I have spoken too for all the information.

Hopefully after Christmas the chassis will be reunited with some rail just to see the motion going round.

Regards and thanks.

Denis Mulford

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot