« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Ceramic car batteries

Lambrail

Topics: 8

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 16th Oct 2017, 7:45pm
Ceramic car batteries

I need to buy batteries for one of my locos shortly, I notice that Halfords have what are described as Ceramic batteries. Are these any good for locomotive use?

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 17th Oct 2017, 9:16am

Car batteries are not suitable for electrically powered locos, you need traction batteries, e.g. intended to power golf buggies and invalid scooters. I use local companies, but Multicell advertise on the 7¼ Society website's trade pages. Their advice, depending on the size of your loco and what you intend to use it for, will be invaluable. My Rio Grande 'diesel' - a collaboration between myself and Cromar White - has eight 6 volt traction batteries powering four 24 volt motors and a sound system. Presently we are switching over to the more efficient AGM batteries so will be able to reduce the number installed. Their weight is useful for traction!
Car batteries are not suitable for electrically powered locos, you need traction batteries, e.g. intended to power golf buggies and invalid scooters. I use local companies, but Multicell advertise on the 7¼ Society website's trade pages. Their advice, depending on the size of your loco and what you intend to use it for, will be invaluable. My Rio Grande 'diesel' - a collaboration between myself and Cromar White - has eight 6 volt traction batteries powering four 24 volt motors and a sound system. Presently we are switching over to the more efficient AGM batteries so will be able to reduce the number installed. Their weight is useful for traction!

Lambrail

Topics: 8

Replies: 12

Posted: Tue 17th Oct 2017, 7:13pm

Thank you Mick.
I just had a look at their website but could not find any prices. I need to compare and don't like to have to phone around to get prices unless I really have to.
What is wrong with car batteries, I have seen many performing sterling service in locos. Indeed, one person that has the same loco as mine told me what size car batteries they successfully use. When you say car batteries are no good for loco use, do you mean lead acid or ceramic? There must be some difference.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 17th Oct 2017, 10:53pm

Car batteries are designed to be used while being charged. Running them in a loco means they only get discharged while in use, and then recharged later, that isn't good for the plates inside. You need a battery that is suitable for deep cycling, such as a leisure battery, to get the best life out of it.

Deep cycling means that it can be discharged 'til nearly flat and then re-charged, without harm. Recharging causes heat build up in the battery which can buckle the internal plates.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot