« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Charging batteries in situ

Lambrail

Topics: 8

Replies: 12

Posted: Thu 29th Dec 2016, 9:03pm
Charging batteries in situ

I will be using two 12 V batteries in a 24V loco. Is it possible to arrange charging without removing the batteries or disconnecting the wiring? Ideally I would like to be able to plug in a charger. What would be the wiring diagram and would it be best to arrange a plug/socket on the charger? The loco is of Pheonix design with their controller.

Any advise gratefully received.

Replies To This Post

George Coles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Sat 31st Dec 2016, 8:07am

The ever helpful 4QD website has an article on this. (http://www.4qd.co.uk/docs/charging-a-24v-system-from-a-12v-source/) I have found it works well on Fritz (our Deutz C XIV F). Heeding the warning regarding the ability of the controller to withstand the momentary 24v when connecting up, I use a simple on/off switch inserted at point A in the diagram, moving the switch to ON after the relays have engaged.
I hope this helps.
George C

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Sat 31st Dec 2016, 8:59am

I run a 24V battery loco and I charge the batteries in situ with a plug on the so that disconnecting the batteries to plug into the charger thus isolating all the drive etc during charging.I have a couple of 24V charger one a sealey 12/24V and the other an Absaar which will do 6/12/24V but is a quality unit.
John Nicholson

ivanhewlett

Replies: 53

Posted: Sat 31st Dec 2016, 1:35pm

Hi
As others have said it is certainly not a problem to charge batteries in situ. I have standardised on the 'smaller' Anderson style connectors which can handle around 30 Amps, I use Red for 24Volts and Black for 12Volts. I also use Grey for inter unit connections and Orange for 24Volt bogie connections, the benefit of using these connectors is that only same colour halves will physically connect.
I use a mobility scooter charger that has 3 stage charging and leave it permanently connected since the final 'float' stage maintains the batteries ready to use at all times. I have 4 batteries connected in series parallel combination with no problems after 8 years.
The most important rule for me is never to take a 12 volt connection from the series connected batteries, this will definitely reduce the system life expectancy.

Kind Regards, Ivan

Lambrail

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 2nd Jan 2017, 8:32pm

Many thanks to you all.

Kind regards

Mark

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot