« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Class 33 (Crompton) and Mk I carriages

johnoxlade

Topics: 6

Replies: 6

Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2012, 7:44am
Class 33 (Crompton) and Mk I carriages

Has anyone built a 33? Any good drawings available?
I'd also like some Mk I carriages. No one seems to make them so would need drawings for them too.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Replies To This Post

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2012, 4:33pm

Have a look in the trade directory on here, Aristocraft list MK1s.

Cheers

Chris

Keithf7

Topics: 0

Replies: 19

Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2012, 7:10pm

Never seen any drawings for a Class 33. There are however 26 examples in preservation, so it is relatively easy to get a small scale drawing from a book and dimension it accurately from the full size loco. Have a look at www.preserved-diesels.co.uk.

For drawings for Mk1 coaches, can I recommend Keith Parkins book "British Railways Mark 1 Coaches" ISBN 0 906899 49 4.
Doug Hewson has drawings for Mk1's in 5" gauge. They would be a good starting point.

Good luck with both projects.

Keith

johnoxlade

Posted: Wed 14th Nov 2012, 6:07am

Ah, I didn't see the Aristocraft coaches; thanks.

As for running over one with a tape measure ... not so easy when you live in NZ!

I have some crude outline drawings of one and numerous photos.

Thanks,
John

johnoxlade

Posted: Wed 21st Nov 2012, 12:08pm

The Kent & East Sussex Railway were most helpful in granting me access to their 33 yesterday so I now have a good 100+ detail photos and I am considering buying a Heljan 00-scale version to use as a template.

Has anyone got any recommendations / experience of motors? I'd like to axle-hang them the same as the prototype, so they need to fit between the back-to-back of the wheels.

I know this is mad, but I feel like a challenge and can think of nothing better to remember my Dad - except perhaps for a Tadpole, but that's for another day.

Thanks,
John

donaldcottle

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Wed 21st Nov 2012, 11:22pm

John, Don't forget there were 2 versions, because one batch were designed & built so they could negotiate a difficult tunnel on the Hastings line. (As a result they had slightly narrower bodies). However if you stick with the earlier numbered batch of Nos. D6500-D6585 you will be o.k. Later B.R.renumbered the class & formed it into 'Class 33', so the one you saw may have carried its later class number. I see one occasionally which its current owners re-numbered, so it carriers its original number.(In the D65xx series.)

johnoxlade

Posted: Thu 22nd Nov 2012, 7:26am

Yes I know there are two distinctly different class 33s. The push-pull Cromptons also have some detail differences too - but minor.
The slim-line Cromptons (how the crews called them - I never did like the name Slim Jim) apparently cost a small fortune because they had to re-engineer so many small details to fit within the restricted loading-gauge.

bailerboy

Replies: 4

Posted: Wed 12th Dec 2012, 1:54pm

im just about to start building mk 1 for people what sort would you want and i work on real ones all day long where i work to

johnoxlade

Posted: Wed 12th Dec 2012, 9:58pm

Probably 2nd open, corridor comp and corridor brake 2nd. I'd actually like to make them myself but would be interested to hear your experiences.
John

bailerboy

Replies: 4

Posted: Tue 18th Dec 2012, 7:48am

I'm only 19 but I'm sure ill be ok espically working on mk1 every day

ericpenn

Topics: 4

Replies: 1

Posted: Mon 11th Feb 2013, 3:46pm

Hi John

Don't look at the forum very often, just read you request for info. I have just completed, well almost the 7 1/4 metropolitan loco. If you would send me an email I will send some picture info on the bogie power details.

Eric Penn
UK

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot