« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Copper for boilers

Jordanleeds

Topics: 1

Replies: 8

Posted: Mon 7th Aug 2017, 6:35am
Copper for boilers

I recently made an enquiry from one of the major suppliers regarding the purchase of a boiler kit for my current project , noting that within the boiler test code it states that material should be of the correct grade and thickness I enquired if a materials certificate could be supplied. To be told that the company does not and has never supplied certification,
How do others get around this ? I will probably source material from a stockholder who will automatically issue certificates but owing that the material is c101 or c106 grade copper a certificate should be supplied to conform with the standards laid out in the BS book surely .

Any thoughts?

Replies To This Post

gerryclarke

Topics: 5

Replies: 10

Posted: Mon 7th Aug 2017, 2:29pm

Hi Jordan,

Pure copper is an element although numbers such as C101 are designated you are still looking at something like 99.3/99.9% pure copper. The designation number will give the mechanical properties which you will find vary according to the hardness in which it is supplied. C101 in tube or sheet form is ideal for making boilers and if it is supplied with certification the mechanical properties described will be for the supplied condition only. Once you apply heat to a temperature sufficient for silver soldering you alter the primary mechanical properties -hardness-strength and ductility which determine its condition. If you are doing calculations for a boiler the figure to use is the fully annealed condition where the stress should not exceed 3800 lbf /in².
A certificate should be issued on request just to verify it is pure copper, and not an alloyed copper.

Jordanleeds

Topics: 1

Replies: 8

Posted: Wed 9th Aug 2017, 6:43pm

Many thanks Gerry, I just find the model engineering suppliers flat response of no somewhat concerning given what the rules may be this extended to other cast boiler components too. They seem to be oblivious .
I am normally found working c107 copper at work however that is a little too exotic for this not to mention sourcing it.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot