Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Coupling Heights

bruce morgans

Topics: 6

Replies: 18

Posted: Tue 13th Oct 2015, 10:50am
Coupling Heights

Hi
Can anyone advise me why the coupling heights are different between standard gauge and narrow gauge locos and rolling stock.
Regards Bruce

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 13th Oct 2015, 10:22pm

The coupling standards are listed in Track Standards here on the site.

bruce morgans

Posted: Tue 20th Oct 2015, 6:00pm

Hi Guys

This is a subject that I hadn't given much thought to until a few days ago when a railway member expressed the view that the lower coupling height for the narrow gauge railway was to compensate for the higher centre of gravity i.e. provided greater stability by attaching at a lower level. Previously I had assumed it merely reflected more accurately the actual coupling height for each respective railway. i.e. 51/4" equates to 42" for standard gauge, and 41/4" equates to approximately 13-16 for narrow gauge ( depending on the scale ). Can anyone advise why the published heights were chosen, is it for one or both of the above reasons or is there another reason which I have not mentioned?

Regards Bruce

Xz

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 20th Oct 2015, 7:20pm

Perhaps a bit of a tall order, that. These standards have been around for longer than I have been a member, too long to contemplate! Perhaps someone who has a longer history than me might remember where they came from. Note that the buffer height is the same for both N.G and Std. G. so we don't get any locking buffers.

Good luck.

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Thu 22nd Oct 2015, 8:43am

I have been a member of this Ssociety since 1977 and at that time Echills Wood was one of the founding railways along with Porters Hill , Portway Railway and Thames Ditton to name a few. In those days everyone used 4"for Narrow Gauge centre coupler stock and 5.25"for standard gauge stock. Since then some people have drifted to other heights but as far as I am concerned these dimensions have never changed.

bruce morgans

Posted: Tue 24th May 2016, 3:45pm

Hi guys thank you for your replies. In the absence of any other explaination I think it is reasonable to assume the heights were those in use by the founding members. The reason why these heights were used is less certain. Regards Bruce

RuddingtonRoy

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 1st Jan 2017, 7:52pm

Hi Bruce
If you are a keen Fine-scale builder the height of the full sized loco coupling may be important to you. However, if you are of a more practical mind, you may want to consider the height of the coupling on whatever stock you intend to haul, for example, club riding cars.

Viceroy

Topics: 13

Posted: Wed 8th Feb 2017, 2:20pm

Can some one make life simple for me and my 7 1/4 G Hunslet called " Sweep Pea " what centers should i use for my buffers and at what height from the track ? E.G. 9 and 3/4" cc X 4" ht from the track, a statement lake that would be most helpful to a Novice like me !!! Couplings will be made to look right ( Don't go nuts )

Bill

Replies: 30

Posted: Wed 8th Feb 2017, 2:52pm

Track Standards in the Forum http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/about-us/?//72

Viceroy

Topics: 13

Posted: Sat 11th Feb 2017, 10:27am

Bill, thanks for the web address, solved at last

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot