Sign In above to begin adding replies.

DSTEAM

D STEAM

Topics: 2

Replies: 5

Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2016, 7:33pm
DSTEAM

Can anyone help
A few years ago i bought a 040 romulus loco which has never worked properly over the years i have tryed and tryed to sort it out
the old girl will steam up and run a bit seems to loose steam pressure it has hackworth valve gear
i have very little time due to work committments i was looking for someone who could sort for me for a price i would deliver to you and collect i live south of bristol so can ttake to scotland but up to 100 miles not a problem

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2016, 8:34pm

Dave, I have built my own Rom and repaired several others. I would need more information before I could suggest more certainly what is wrong. I live in Stoke, near to J15 of the M6, would that be too far?

D STEAM

Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2016, 9:17pm

Xz
The loco is totally complete with axle pump hand pump and steam water injector whats happening is it steams up with a very good fire and water gauge 2/3 full after warming up cylinders when go to go forward nothing if i go backwards a bit then it will go forward steam pressure drops to 40 psi and cantget any higher someone said extend blow pipe up chimney i realise this is wrong have checked valve timing think its ok ?????

Xz

Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2016, 9:28pm

The valve timing can look Ok even when the geometry of the valve gear is incorrect (either in-built or wear). There are several possibilities. Did it run well before you owned it? That might indicate wear. If it has never run well then the problem may have been in-built, a common occurance with Romulus.

Xz

Posted: Thu 2nd Jun 2016, 10:57pm

Another question is, when it did run, was it as good in reverse as it was forwards?

D STEAM

Posted: Fri 3rd Jun 2016, 6:00pm

hi when i bought loco the chap was very ill and frail so didn t see it running.ever since i first steamed it its been like this.i am ok with bring loco to you would have to be at a weekend thou have you got track to run it on Xzi would leave loco with you

billhaywood

Replies: 30

Posted: Fri 3rd Jun 2016, 7:12pm

Dave, XZ does come to me most sundays. I own Woodseaves Miniature Railway in North Shropshire. I had a problem with my Romulus and XZ with his good knowledge got it to run properly and I'm very pleased with it.

D STEAM

Posted: Fri 3rd Jun 2016, 8:01pm

bill have looked at your railway on line very nice layout i am hoping Xz will sort my loco and when i come up to collect loco i could meet Xz at your railway if Xz can transport it over

Xz

Posted: Fri 3rd Jun 2016, 9:38pm

Dave, I have a reluctance to put contact details onto an open forum such as this (spy-bots etc.). Members can access these details legitimately through the Members section. It would be good to see your loco in steam before attempting any repair, and at Bill's would be ideal.

Pete

Topics: 0

Posted: Fri 1st Jul 2016, 11:41pm

Hi Dave, just browsing the 7 1/4 site, is this the Romulus you bought from Eric Lee? If so I remember it only being steamed once over 20 odd years ago on his garden line. It was then left for many years whilst he built a series of traction engines. I know he then rebuilt it with a steel boiler but due to his own health issues and that of his wife he never steamed it again. I remember his garden railway with great fondness and have many happy memories of running my little electric shunter there. If I haven't confused you with someone else I also have many happy memories of your own line whilst operated by the previous owners. Would love to see some photos of your line now. If you chose not to I very much respect your decision and wish you all the best with your Romulus.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot