Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Diesel Engines

vulcanworks

Topics: 11

Replies: 15

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 10:24am
Diesel Engines

Hi,
Going along with my "My First Petrol Loco" thread, I wonder if anyone has had any experience with installing a small diesel engine into a 7 1/4 inch loco ? I've found some that are similar in size and cost to Loncin engines, but diesel engines are obviously different mechanical beasties, so wondered if these are even an option in small loco's. The big advantage is they would run much longer than a petrol loco, and diesel fuel is less combustable than petrol, which would make my event organisers less twitchy about having a non electric loco.

If anyone has had experience with these little diesel engines, can anyone recommend one of the Chinese clones ? They all seem to have good reviews everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 11:40am

Diesel is fine, there are several about (including Skipper at the SNBR, see attached photo) but the vibration and noise of a small diesel are problematic - much worse than a petrol engine. The flip side is that they pull much better.
I used a Chinese engine (although I forget which one) in this loco, coupled to an Eaton hydrostat - in my opinion, the one and only way to get power to the wheels in a simple and idiotproof manner.
Diesel is fine, there are several about (including Skipper at the SNBR, see attached photo) but the vibration and noise of a small diesel are problematic - much worse than a petrol engine. The flip side is that they pull much better.
I used a Chinese engine (although I forget which one) in this loco, coupled to an Eaton hydrostat - in my opinion, the one and only way to get power to the wheels in a simple and idiotproof manner.

vulcanworks

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 12:02pm

Thanks for the reply Peter.
Just found some youtube videos of Skipper - He's certainly got some pull..and a voice :-).

EJParrott

Topics: 2

Replies: 19

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 11:39pm

Kubota. Range of miniature diesel engines, pretty good spares availability too. Currently installing a D600 into a new club diesel

vulcanworks

Posted: Tue 6th Jun 2017, 10:06am

This is probably a pretty obvious question to ask but I've viewed a lot of youtube videos now with diesel engines and it never dawned on me how you turn a diesel engine off.

Am I right in saying you have to control the throttle idle speed in order to turn off a diesel engine ? I've seen one video where there is a hand throttle control which connects to the idle speed adjustment on the engine. Setting this to "0" cuts the engine, Setting it to maximum allows the engine to start, and it's then reduced to the correct idle speed. Does that sound right ?

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Tue 6th Jun 2017, 12:16pm

It depends on the way the engine's built. But yes, you turn off a diesel by cutting off the fuel supply. On the smaller engines it's simply by bringing the throttle control back to zero. You have to be careful when running to keep it above a certain position, otherwise it'll stop. Skipper's owner uses an M6 bolt in the throttle control so that you have to take the bolt out to stop it.
Bigger diesels (Z400's etc.) have a separate 'stop' control, but it's just the same thing, cutting off the fuel supply. In this case, the throttle is always partially open to keep the engine going, and the stop switch cuts it right off.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot