Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Erskine Tramway BE loco

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Wed 16th Nov 2011, 1:11am
Erskine Tramway BE loco

Erskine Tramway BE loco
The new loco for the Erskine Tramway made it's first run today. So far, it's just a rolling chassis, bought in from Ride Trains, in Utah. http://ridetrains.net/ The chassis is 24 volts, with an electronic controller from Dimension Engineering, 5-inch wheels on a 24-inch wheelbase. The overall length of the loco will be 42-inches, and 24-inches wide.

The photo shows what it looks like today. I made the trip over the line while sitting on the center battery, with my feet on the motor end (rear) buffer :>) The buffer suffered the depredations of a journey with UPS from Utah, however, it will be restored to its' proper shape before the body is applied :>) BTW....the VW front axle lying on the Heywood wagon is a replacement for my 1973 "Trekker".

My intention is that this loco will pull my, under construction, four-wheeled coach. I got the idea of a small loco coupled to a coach from a video of Paul Bennett's Donegal rail car. The way it handled my 220 pounds up the hill out of the Terminal makes me think it will do more than that :>) The body will be a "sit sideways", industrial style. I'm still debating over a roof....though it does get very hot in the summer sun around here.

Best,

Mike, Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"
Hot Springs, South Dakota

Replies To This Post

Mike

Posted: Fri 18th Nov 2011, 6:22pm

Hello..

Since there were no members of the press to witness the first run of the BE chassis, My wife took this picture of a "staged reinactment" this morning :>)

Best,

Mike
Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"
Hello..

Since there were no members of the press to witness the first run of the BE chassis, My wife took this picture of a "staged reinactment" this morning :>)

Best,

Mike
Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"

nomis

Replies: 17

Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 9:21am

Good stuff!

I have used the same motor(s) for my loco.
I went with a pair, geared approx 10:1 to 6" wheels - plenty of power for a garden railway!

That looks like quite a railway you have there, got any more pics?

(P.S. Do I get a prize for recognising the VW front beam? I am also a long term volkswagen tinkerer - currently building myself a buggy for next summer)

Mike

Posted: Mon 21st Nov 2011, 12:15pm

Sure.......you can have a free ride anytime you are in the neighborhood, how's that? I'm building a "faux Kubel", using the 181 as a basis.

I see you've found the Tramway thread, with more pics of the line. When I get my new computer this week, I'll reload my Cad program and post a drawing of the loco and coach.

Mike
Erskine Tramway 7-1/2"

nomis

Replies: 17

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2011, 1:08pm

Sounds like an interesting project - if I am ever in South Dakota I will let you know!

Mike

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2011, 2:05pm

OK, nomis.......

Feel free to call, I'm in the Membership Roster :>)

I did this .pdf file last night when I was up in Gillette. I don't know why the line weights are all over the map...they are all the same on the drawing...but you'll get the idea.

Best,

Mike

Edit...I don't know why the .pdf didn't attach, I guess I'll have to try something different.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot