Sign In above to begin adding replies.

FREELANCE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE TYPES

Newbie17

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Thu 8th Aug 2013, 10:34am

I am moving from 5 gauge up to 7 1/4. What types of freelance steam locos are available to make? I know of Romulus, Tinkerbell & Thomas 2, but are there any more?
In the images gallery the picture Ive attached is labelled as '£ Henry Class' is this another type?

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Thu 8th Aug 2013, 11:31am

Hi, these three locos, two stabled at Sheffield SMEE (Abbeydale Miniature Railway) and one at Chesterfield SMEE (Hady Hill) were designed by the late Neil Mullins, assisted by David Peck, both Sheffield SMEE members. The first one built was called HENRY, hence the class name. David Peck is in the members book.

Newbie17

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Thu 8th Aug 2013, 5:44pm

Thanks Mick. Is it common that people design their own steam loco?
Do you know of any other freelance steam locos that drawings would be available for?

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Thu 8th Aug 2013, 5:52pm

I wouldn't say it's common, but there are a lot of freelance locos about, too many to list here. I suggest visiting other miniature railways and the AGM to see them 'in the flesh'. It's a big decision to make, will cost a lot of money, and even with all the modern methods of CNC, laser cutting, water jetting etc, takes most of us several years to complete. Websites like Station Road Steam and others can also give you an idea of what's available in 7¼" gauge.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 12th Aug 2013, 1:40pm

Designing your own loco is simple, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It does take a little common sense, plus a background knowledge of engineering and especially railway engineering. I can only agree with Mick - it will take MUCH longer than you ever imagine - my first steam loco took nearly 3 years to build!! But having said all that, there's no other feeling in the world like the first time you light a fire in it, open the regulator and it moves!!!!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot