« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Festiniog slate waggons

Rob

Topics: 4

Replies: 2

Posted: Sun 13th Sep 2015, 9:06pm
Festiniog slate waggons

Where can i find plans for Festiniog slate waggons - the rake at the AGM this weekend looked just fantastic but must be reasonably easy to self-build. Any guidance?????

Replies To This Post

ENGINENUTT

Replies: 3

Posted: Mon 14th Sep 2015, 8:56am

Hi Rob
I have been looking for the same thing but for the Dinorwic Quarry.
There are Festiniog slate wagon plans on the internet, if you just type that in and look at the page "IMAGES".
Also Reeves do plans and castings, check them out.
I contacted the Welsh Slate Museum in Dinorwic and they recommended "Narrow Gauge Railways in North Caernarvonshire Volume Three " which included a plans of a slate wagon that I scaned in then enlarged.
Look forward to any other replies you get

franksidebottom

Replies: 28

Posted: Mon 14th Sep 2015, 9:53am

Hi Rob,
I briefly spotted those slate wagons whilst on a passing train. I am fairly sure these were the ones originally built and run by Rev Bob Jackson, who had also, earlier, built a rake of similar, but smaller, wood-framed slate wagons. Whilst all the stock was sold years ago, I would be happy to make enquiries as to whether plans are available; I can be contacted via the members' address section on this website, or via the Secretary or Editor of the News. Best Wishes, Frank.

Rob

Replies: 2

Posted: Mon 14th Sep 2015, 9:45pm

Thanks for comments so far, much appreciated.

timtrotman

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Mon 21st Sep 2015, 3:32pm

Hi Rob,

The slate wagons are mine and are indeed Bob Jackson wagons from Bolebroke Castle. I don't have any plans I'm afraid but the wagons can be seen at our club in Oxford if you're local. I secured 10 of them from Maxitrak who brought most of the stock when Bolebroke closed, so they may have some left. 

Regards

Tim
Hi Rob,

The slate wagons are mine and are indeed Bob Jackson wagons from Bolebroke Castle. I don't have any plans I'm afraid but the wagons can be seen at our club in Oxford if you're local. I secured 10 of them from Maxitrak who brought most of the stock when Bolebroke closed, so they may have some left.

Regards

Tim

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 21st Sep 2015, 3:39pm

You don't need plans to build something as simple as slate waggons, just a side on photograph, something to measure them against and that's it. I didn't even do that with the ones I built for my latest  loco, just guessed the sizes, chopped up some rectangular box section (for the chassis) and then various bits of angle and flat for the body. A little bit of electric glue, some bearings off ebay and those wheelsets doing nothing in the back of the shed and hey presto, slate waggons. The Fairlie to pull them with took a little longer . . . .. ..
You don't need plans to build something as simple as slate waggons, just a side on photograph, something to measure them against and that's it. I didn't even do that with the ones I built for my latest loco, just guessed the sizes, chopped up some rectangular box section (for the chassis) and then various bits of angle and flat for the body. A little bit of electric glue, some bearings off ebay and those wheelsets doing nothing in the back of the shed and hey presto, slate waggons. The Fairlie to pull them with took a little longer . . . .. ..

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot