Sign In above to begin adding replies.

First steaming of Sweet William - last weekend

derekwhite

Topics: 3

Replies: 4

Posted: Fri 26th May 2017, 7:49pm

Unable to raise steam above ten pounds. Would you recommend a more powerful blower which works fine on Sweet Pea.
Ideas most welcome - thanks!

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 26th May 2017, 8:13pm

10 lbs, is often enough to start using the the loco's own steam blower, you can use it with the electric one but usually that isn't necessary, and better if you don't. I get some small lumps of coal on as soon as the wood/firelighter is well alight. Patience is always required until you get to know the loco's foibles. Don't try to raise pressure too quickly, up to an hour isn't unusual, less than half is pushing it. Hope this is some help.

derekwhite

Posted: Sat 27th May 2017, 8:24pm

Thanks for your input, praps as you say, I need to be more patient, getting used to a larger loco which has a steel boiler unlike Sweet Pea which is copper.
Do you think using the blower too early does not allow the steam pressure to build up?

Alan Pollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Sat 27th May 2017, 9:10pm

Hi Derek

Xz is spot on if you have 10 pounds that's normally more than enough to use the local blower you really need to be patient with raising steam.

Thanks
Alan

P.s off the top of my head I think I have had a sweet pea loco blower on at 5 pounds of pressure but not recently

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 28th May 2017, 9:57am

Yes turning the blower on too hard, too early, will slow progress. It doesn't really need a lot anyway, just a whisper, enough to keep fresh oxygen passing into the firebox. As the pressure builds, then you can turn it up a bit more. The point is to try and heat the boiler through evenly, so the metal can expand without stressing. This is more important with steel boilers with expanded in tubes.

Bob G.

derekwhite

Posted: Sun 28th May 2017, 11:46am

Thanks to all of you and the very welcome advice. I obviously have a lot to learn.
Derek W.

bruce morgans

Topics: 6

Replies: 18

Posted: Sun 28th May 2017, 11:54am

Hi
The first time I steamed my Romulus I couldn't raise any pressure because I had assembled my regulator valve incorrectly so the valve was not seated correctly and as fast as I was raising Steam it was escaping via the cylinder drains! I'm sure that's not your case however if you have an ineffective blower it would have the same effect.
10 psi is enough for any well designed and installed blower so I suspect there must be a reason for your problem. Being a Sweet William would I be correct in assuming it has a marine boiler? Marine boilers have their own percularities and I have limited experience of them but I do know you have to keep a fire going across the whole grate otherwise cold air is easily drawn in and will reduce the steaming rate. On this point check the grate is a good fit and that there are no gaps at either end allowing cold air to bypass the fire. ''This is particularly important at the tubeplate end.
Raising steam should take about 45 minutes.
Regards Bruce

derekwhite

Posted: Tue 30th May 2017, 2:40pm

Thanks Bruce. Yes, it is a marine boiler. I have come to the conclusion that the valves are not seating correctly.
Thanks to all members for their input.

Regards, Derek.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot