Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Fixing wheels to axles

daktari

Topics: 4

Replies: 3

Posted: Mon 7th Mar 2016, 5:08pm
Fixing wheels to axles

Hi
As a newcomer to the gauge every thing is new just bought some wheels and axles from 17d miniatures what's the best way to get the wheels on the axles push or heat ???? Ect
Also have bought some chassis mount bearings from simply bearings they have 2 fixing screws in each bearing would you push the bearings on to the axle or ease the axle in the lathe so it's a slip fix ect .
Many thanks

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 8th Mar 2016, 8:39pm

Wheels can either be pressed on or shrunk on after being heated up. Press fit is more usual. It is critical that the back to back distance between the wheels is to the society standards (see elsewhere on the website). You should check with the supplier as to how they are intended to be assembled. Your bearing sounds like a pillow block but could be a take up bearing designed to slide up and down in the chassis. I've attached a pillow block photo. The sleeves in these bearings are designed to be a close fit on an axle of the bearings's nominal diameter so the axle needs nothing doing to it. Just tighten the grub screws onto it. I hope that helps.
Wheels can either be pressed on or shrunk on after being heated up. Press fit is more usual. It is critical that the back to back distance between the wheels is to the society standards (see elsewhere on the website). You should check with the supplier as to how they are intended to be assembled. Your bearing sounds like a pillow block but could be a take up bearing designed to slide up and down in the chassis. I've attached a pillow block photo. The sleeves in these bearings are designed to be a close fit on an axle of the bearings's nominal diameter so the axle needs nothing doing to it. Just tighten the grub screws onto it. I hope that helps.

daktari

Topics: 4

Replies: 3

Posted: Wed 9th Mar 2016, 7:51am

hi thanks for you reply the bearings are as in your photo i turned the ends of the axles down by about 0.02 of a mm and they are now a nice fit .
taking the wheels down to my mechanic this morning whos hopefully going to press them on the axles are shouldered at the correct back to back .
thanks

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot