« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Frost protection?

Bradypus Nick

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 25th Nov 2011, 8:36pm
Frost protection?

Hello from a new member. I am currently running battery electric in the garden but hoping to get into steam soon, just in time for winter! Could someone please offer some advice regarding frost protection, particularly for steel boilers?

The loco will be stabled a long way from the nearest electricity supply so I assume it is best to drain the boiler completely, although it will be a bit of a pain with water treatment added. Has anyone experience of a paraffin heater or lamp left in the firebox, or other low output heaters?

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Fri 25th Nov 2011, 10:32pm

It is by far the best to drain the boiler if it is to be left more than just a few hours overnight. It is also best to drain it whilst still hot and then leave the drains open so it can breathe. Treatment can be replaced with the fill water, previous treatment will continue to effective for some time. If electricity is available the simple expedient of an old fashioned lightbulb placed in the firebox will serve to keep the frost at bay. The quantity of heat required is not great as long as there is little draft. Heat from burning fuels will generate water, increasing condensation, and are best avoided if possible.

Bradypus Nick

Posted: Sun 27th Nov 2011, 8:52pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't realised that condensation would be such a problem. Looks like I need an electricity supply and some 'old fashioned' lightbulbs.

Bradypus Nick

Posted: Sat 10th Dec 2011, 7:54pm

Just a quick update. I have drained the boiler completely and purged it with argon from a welding set. Will let you know what happens in spring.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot