« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Highlander

palmcoast

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Sat 3rd Dec 2011, 8:35pm
Highlander

I started building Highlander when the series appeared in Model Engineer! then other things intervened, and I have only just got myself organised ready to restart building. Having just joined the Society, I noticed comments in the Forum concerning serious errors in the drawings for this locomotive, I should appreciate any information on these errors please. thanks, Tom

Replies To This Post

allandew

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Fri 13th Apr 2012, 4:10pm

Tom, l raised this point and have had no replies. My request for a section were engineers could exchange information with others building the same loco and could comunicate was considered "not feasible". Contact me and l will tell you what l found and there have been coments in the past on the forum l have got copies of the comments but there must be a lot more information that other engineers could share with us. Allan Dew member number 03269

dousco

Topics: 0

Posted: Sat 21st Sep 2013, 8:57am

Guys - I have recently started building a Highlander and I bought the appropriate volumes of ME to get access to Martin Evans' articles. I'm using a set of his drawings bought from Reeves a few years ago. If there are errors in the drawings I'd also appreciate any information on corrections...

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Sat 21st Sep 2013, 4:37pm

Following your last post I would just like to make one suggestion.

As per drawing the front bogie restrict the sideplay and hence the radius of corners the engine will handle. To further explain this point a Highlander made to drawings will not usually go round the curves at Millerbeck but we have had several Black fives run over the years but most have been modified.

I would suggest trying it as a chassis on known curves of a bit less than 30 feet and it will be fine.

dousco

Posted: Sun 22nd Sep 2013, 7:52am

John - thanks for your reply. Point noted. Regards, Doug

georgewhite

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Sun 29th Sep 2013, 2:41pm

Hi Guys
I am driving a black 5 made to Martin Evsans drawing and it goes well so dont give up. Met Mathewrrailways at the AGM and he has a whole range of lasercut frames and lost wax castings, They look good. Contact him on:- sales@mathewsrailwaym odels.co.uk

dousco

Posted: Sat 5th Oct 2013, 3:22am

Thanks George, I'll contact mathewsrailwaymodels. Regards, Doug

georgewhite

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Sun 6th Oct 2013, 6:19am

The only complaint I recieve about the Black 5 is its whistle. I have trieds 3 but nothing sounds any where near the original. Any ideas?

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot