« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Honda Engine problem

Lambrail

Topics: 8

Replies: 12

Posted: Sat 18th Jun 2016, 9:56pm
Honda Engine problem

I have a Maxitrak simplicity with a Honda Engine. When the choke is close, the auto choke keeps moving in and out making the engine revs erratic. What do I need to look at to stop this happening?

Replies To This Post

grahamhoultby

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 19th Jun 2016, 9:07pm

I would suggest if you are able to convert auto choke to manual but you do not state what carb you have fitted or what engine?

ivanhewlett

Replies: 53

Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2016, 9:49am

Hi Lamby ?

As Graham says it would be useful to know a bit more about your engine. I have to say that generally Honda engines work well, but do need occasional servicing. If there is a manual choke - as you seem to suggest - then the other movement you are seeing is probably the governor system (not an auto-choke). The governor is intended to maintain a constant engine speed, for a given throttle setting, independent of load. I am not sure how the governor operates on a Honda, just because I have never had cause to look, but it could be an 'air-vane' type which uses engine airflow to monitor rpm, or perhaps more likely some form of crankcase pressure sensing.
In either case grass, oily dust or other external debris could affect correct operation, so it is worth checking the linkages and cleaning if necessary.
Otherwise any good lawnmower dealer/servicer will usually perform a full service and adjustment for perhaps £50 or £70.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for further help.

Cheers, Ivan

Lambrail

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 20th Jun 2016, 6:16pm

Thank you gents. The Motor, I was told, is a 2.5HP and is fitted to a Maxitrak Simplicity. The govenor, as I now believe it to be, just keeps moving, keeping the motor running, but not at a constant speed. I will have a good clean around the engine and see how i go from there.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot