« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Horns for Battery electics

adrianmcainsh

Topics: 1

Replies: 0

Posted: Sun 25th Sep 2011, 9:13pm
Horns for Battery electics

Any one any suggestions for horns for use on battery loco. What have other people used, car horns or someting else.

Thanks
Adrian

Replies To This Post

Gavin

Topics: 2

Replies: 5

Posted: Sun 25th Sep 2011, 10:17pm

The horn fitted by Paul Middleton to his tram certainly got the attention of anyone who heard it at the AGM on Saturday. from ebay for under £10, I think.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 26th Sep 2011, 6:51am

Adrian,
I have used both standard car horns and car air horns. You can get either from ebay - if you're short on space, then the standard snail horn is your best bet - don't forget that it's pretty high current so will need a relay to actuate it. I prefer the air horns - you buy a set with two trumpets, compressor and relay - but these take up more space (the trumpets are about 9"-12" long and 2-3" diameter, the compressor is about 5" long by 2" diameter)
Regards
Peter

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Tue 27th Sep 2011, 8:22am

I have a battery loco with a pair of 12V car horns (high and low) wired so that each horn works on a different battery (running at 24 V). The best diesel air horn I have seen was done by a member of Bradford MES and he got a pair of air horns and cut the trumpet down. This considerably altered the note and sounded very realistic on a small shunting engine.
Regards
John Nicholson

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Wed 28th Sep 2011, 5:54pm

It takes a little more space but I have tried a 3 tone chime 'whoo-whoo' kids plastic train whistle with an airbed pump as the blower, linked by a piece of inner tube. This gives the high volume at low pressure that the whistle needs. It starts fairly quiet and works itself up to a scream, then dies away as the pump stops. A bit different, and less annoying for the neighbours!

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot