« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Knuckle couplings

Railrose

Topics: 1

Replies: 8

Posted: Wed 23rd Nov 2016, 2:15pm
Knuckle couplings

I want to fit some rolling stock with american style knuckle couplings. For versatility reasons I want to use off-the-shelf ones rather than spent a lot of time re-inventing the wheel ... eh coupling.

Can anyone advise me which ones (make, supplier) to use and where to order them. First batch will be about 20 pieces. And, they are wanted in The Netherlands, so shipping might be an extra (costly) challenge

Replies To This Post

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Wed 23rd Nov 2016, 5:26pm

Hi Rosie

I hope you are well, we didn't see you at the AGM this year ?

I used 1/8th scale buckeye (knuckle) couplings on my F7, fortunately Cromar White had some available at the time. I know that Cromar White sometimes ship these to the UK from their trips to the US, maybe worth a call to see if they can help ?

Hope to catch up again before too long.

Kind Regards, Ivan

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2016, 4:51am

Hi Rose, like Ivan, I've missed seeing you at the AGM! I have experience of US style knuckle couplings. They work well but with one disadvantage: on rough track as the ends of the wagons or carriages rise and dip the couplings can slip apart vertically, so good level track is essential. The large scale of coupling cope better.

54alanis

Topics: 0

Replies: 4

Posted: Thu 24th Nov 2016, 5:22pm

Hi Rosie I've just brought a pair on ebay for the Big Boy that I'm building if you go onto ebay and change to the American site .com and then go to steam mine were £58.00 and £28.00 that includes import duty and they are very nicely cast and assembled. Regards Alan J

J B E

Replies: 6

Posted: Sun 27th Nov 2016, 2:05am

Hi Rosie,......Is your phone number up to date, [In the address book]. It is not registering

Railrose

Replies: 8

Posted: Sun 27th Nov 2016, 11:54am

Thanks all for your tips. Last summer I had a kind of nervous breakdown hampering my driving ability. I can't work because of it (I'm a truck driver), I'm in therapy but there's very little progress. Physical, strength and stamina, I'm OK but mentally I'm very low. The long drive to the AGM was the biggest obstacle. I'm accident prone because of easy distraction and don't want to cause damage or injury to others in traffic. I hope to be recovered next year.

The phone number is only mobile and correct.

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Tue 29th Nov 2016, 10:10am

Hi Rosie
Sorry to hear that you have been unwell, I hope you make a full recovery and perhaps see you next year ?
I like the buckeye couplings on the F7, they work well and there is something very railway like about their operation too. Cost is the downside though, a bolt and length of bar are much cheaper. I use a safety cable (modified breakaway cable from a caravan) between the A+B units, but have not yet suffered from separation of the buckeye.
Good luck and take care.
Ivan

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot