Sign In above to begin adding replies.

LMS 3F0-6-0T or similar?

IanMcGoo22

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 10th Nov 2016, 3:32am
LMS 3F0-6-0T or similar?

Hello,
I've just joined the forum as I am thinking about maybe building a 7 1/4" gauge locomotive. (I do have steam experience in Gauge 1 and 3 1/2 inch gauge, and access to the necessary tools.) Does anyone out there know of a design for an 0-6-0 tank loco with inside cylinders? Something like an LMS 3F "Jinty" tank engine would be ideal. I like the look of an inside cylinder engine better than one with outside cylinders, but I can't find one in 7 1/4".
Thanks!

Replies To This Post

gerryclarke

Topics: 5

Replies: 10

Posted: Sat 12th Nov 2016, 9:31am

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the 7 ¼” Gauge Society.
The Loco you mention,” an inside cylinder 0-6-0 tank engine for 7 ¼” gauge similar to the LMS 3f” does not readily spring to mind, however there are drawings and castings available for a GWR 0-4-2T (48XX or 14XX). These little inside cylinder tank engines are very attractive and make a really good model, I believe drawings and castings are available for this loco. Some members of our Society have built these engines so I am sure help, if needed, would be available.

Best of luck with your Quest

Gerry Clarke

IanMcGoo22

Posted: Sat 12th Nov 2016, 4:39pm

Hello Gerry, thanks for the reply. I knew about the GWR 14XX and yes, that would be a good choice. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of a similar sized 0-6-0T that I hadn't found. The 14xx is a nice little loco, but I'm more of an LMS guy than a GWR guy I guess. I live in Canada but my background and railway interests are Scottish.

I don't think it would be a huge job to modify a 14xx into an 0-6-0 with slightly smaller driving wheels to look more like an LMS design. The overall dimensions are not very different between a 14xx and an LMS 3F. I could probably build the boiler and cylinders exactly to the original plans, which would solve a lot of problems.

Cheers!

malcolmfreestone

Posted: Sun 13th Nov 2016, 9:57am

Hello Ian,
I understand that two members of the Cambridge MES are together working on a pair of 'Jinty' (more accurately 'Jocko'!) locos in our gauge. Perhaps an enquiry through their website would be of help.

http://www.cambridgemes.co.uk/contactus.html

Regards,

Malcolm

davidmawdsley

Replies: 7

Posted: Sat 19th Nov 2016, 9:38pm

Just added to the Pattern bank is a full set of drawings for a jinty. See http://www.laplace.co.uk/downloads/5/
Item 37-1. Photo no. 50.
Interested?... e-mail to the curator, d.mawdsley279@btinternet.com

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot