Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Loco from scratch

Csongor

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Sun 4th Oct 2015, 8:25pm
Loco from scratch

Hi All,

I would like to build a simple 7 1/4 gauge garden railway from scratch. I live in Hungary, so sourcing supplies probably not easy and also could be expensive when shipping heavy parts. I want something simple, 2 axle electric logo.
Something like the Phoenix Locomotives Comet. Looking at the photos and talking to them I an see that most of the parts (e.g. bearing housing, bolts, springs) commercially available. I have help when it comes to steel work, and I have a wood CNC I can use to fabricate the body.
I also have 4pcs 24V, 250W scooter brushed DC motors, which would make 2 locos easy.
I think my biggest issue is wheels. By asking around I found this:
http://www.bs-rollen.de/en/products/wheels/cast.html
C60.125 is a 125mm dia cast iron wheel. width, flange size is almost twice what is in the 7 1/4 standards but still. I contacted the local distributor and asked for the C65.150 model which is bigger and has bearing installed. That is about 29 GBP each. This being smaller and without bearing probably low 20s.

I know that with these wheels I will not be running my stock on any other tracks, but it is probably unlikely anyway. What do you think? Does it worth it? Is cast iron suitable at all?

Thanks in advance,
Csongor

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 5th Oct 2015, 8:24am

Hi, welcome to the 7¼" Society! I have had a look at the web site with the wheels you mention but they are completely unsuitable. Apart from being too large in width (which you mention) they appear to be designed to run on a fixed axle (they have bearings inserted). You will need your wheels fixed to the axles. Pressed on and keyed is best but you could get away with Loctite 'glue' if only for light use. You have to transfer the drive from your motors to the axles, perhaps with a chain and sprockets. They will govern the diameter of the axles. If you have access to a lathe then you can turn your wheels from steel blanks cut from round bar - much cheaper. Steel is preferable to cast iron to prevent wear in loco wheels, but again if you are not going to run the loco a lot that won't matter so much. I've attached a photo of some driving wheels turned from steel blanks for Thomas 2 locos, they have outside frames and the keyways are for fly cranks which you wouldn't need. Good luck.
Hi, welcome to the 7¼" Society! I have had a look at the web site with the wheels you mention but they are completely unsuitable. Apart from being too large in width (which you mention) they appear to be designed to run on a fixed axle (they have bearings inserted). You will need your wheels fixed to the axles. Pressed on and keyed is best but you could get away with Loctite 'glue' if only for light use. You have to transfer the drive from your motors to the axles, perhaps with a chain and sprockets. They will govern the diameter of the axles. If you have access to a lathe then you can turn your wheels from steel blanks cut from round bar - much cheaper. Steel is preferable to cast iron to prevent wear in loco wheels, but again if you are not going to run the loco a lot that won't matter so much. I've attached a photo of some driving wheels turned from steel blanks for Thomas 2 locos, they have outside frames and the keyways are for fly cranks which you wouldn't need. Good luck.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Mon 5th Oct 2015, 8:21pm

Having just bought 36 wheels from CMD Engineering I can recommend http://www.miniature-trains.co.uk/

Csongor

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Mon 5th Oct 2015, 9:44pm

Thanks for the responses. I have contacted CMD Engineering and will see how it goes.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot