« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Locomotive Scale Ratio

Tim

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Mon 13th Jun 2016, 12:57pm
Locomotive Scale Ratio

We are looking at the option of building a 7 1/4 working locomotive replica for a major feature film that will shoot at the end of the year - the real thing will feature heavily throughout, but for one major scene we will need to work in miniature. We would need to build and emulate exactly a standard gauge locomotive (4 ft 8 1/2 ins) into 7 1/4 for this scene (whether it is a 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 or similar or class is irrelevant at this point in time), but we need to understand the design ratio for all components at this point, i.e. 1: ??? from a camera setup perspective as part of our initial planning.

I am also looking for the same info for 10 1/4 gauge, but appreciate that this is not the forum to ask for this as we have not yet finalised which gauge we will use at this point in time, although I will add that 7 1/4 is looking to be the favourite.

Replies To This Post

Tim

Posted: Mon 13th Jun 2016, 2:00pm

I believe that 2¼ inches = 1 foot in 7¼ gauge. Is anyone able to confirm this is correct or otherwise?

54alanis

Topics: 0

Replies: 4

Posted: Mon 13th Jun 2016, 7:14pm

Hi Tim
exact scale in 7 1/4 is 1.54 inches to the foot but most people work to 1.5 inches to the foot hope this helps

Tim

Posted: Mon 13th Jun 2016, 8:16pm

Brillant, thanks for the confirmation of exact scale which I will be raising at tomorrows afternoons planing production meeting on this, and exact details are well noted which I am now taking forward. Many thanks for your SME assistance - much appreciated //Tim

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot