« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Locomotive weights

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 20

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 11:07am
Locomotive weights

We are about to build/buy a motorised hydraulic lift to ease the loading and unloading of locos etc. onto our track from cars and vans. I know my Romulus weighs around 300kg but have no idea about the weight of a standard gauge pacific for example. Can anyone help please?
Thanks Pete King

Replies To This Post

PeteW

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 1:43pm

A quick look on the Archive Section at Stationroadsteam indicates a 7.25" Britannia and Black 5 weigh about 1/4 of a tonne each. The lengths are given too.

A large American loco is over 1/2 tonne according to the same source.

Our club recently installed a lift which will cope with a tonne.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Little Hunslet

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 5:59pm

Many thanks Pete, not a place I have come across before but very interesting. The lift I am looking at will take 600kg so big enough for a C19 which is more than adequate for us.

Cheers Pete

PeteW

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 6:29pm

Their website has some very useful information and photos doesn't it? Good luck with the project Pete. Why not put some photos up as you go along?

Pete.

Mick

Topics: 8

Replies: 147

Posted: Sat 4th Nov 2017, 8:24am

At Abbeydale we are now on our second hydraulic lift, the first was more than sufficient for the weight of locos, but not long enough to cope with a loco and tender combined or a diesel loco which would fit the turntable but not the lifting table. So length is also important when choosing a lifting table.

Little Hunslet

Posted: Sun 10th Jun 2018, 9:57pm

Just wanted to complete my original post now that the new lift is installed (stage 1) at Norwich and District SME. I'm calling it stage 1 because although fitted and working we are going to increase the size of the pit and put the lift on side movement rails over next closed season.
Just wanted to complete my original post now that the new lift is installed (stage 1) at Norwich and District SME. I'm calling it stage 1 because although fitted and working we are going to increase the size of the pit and put the lift on side movement rails over next closed season.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 32

Replies: 113

Posted: Sat 16th Jun 2018, 3:08pm

My view, I wanted to install a lift inside my Loco/general purpose shed my heaviest loco is a big 0-6-0 Feldbhan which with tender and in running condition I estimate is 3/4 ton perhaps more? It's also 2.4 m long. I looked at motorcycle lifts which even the heaviest seemed like it might not be up to the job. Research took me to SJR Garage Equipment Ltd in St Helens Lancashire who offered offered a scissor lift with a 2.7 ton capacity, it came at a bargain price less than that of a Sealey large motorcycle lift. Now got it and I'm very pleased it's well made and engineered and complies with electrical safety standards with 24 volt operation to the solenoid valve. Discarding the car lift beams supplied but not needed we have bolted on a track made up of two parallel 76 X 38 channels 3 m long. Of course it needs to go into a recess in the floor same as in the pic by Little Hunslet and so that the track can be flush with the floor the recess needs to be about 400 mm depth and when the lift is not in use filler boards can be put down to give a fully usable floor for other purposes. The incoming track to the lift comes directly off the turntable, it's laid in just 2 short sections to the concrete floor surface and located by removable pegs so can be very easily removed to allow for such as trailer access to the lift or again to have an unobstructed floor

Mick

Posted: Sat 16th Jun 2018, 5:30pm

May I add a word of caution relating to installing a platform lift going down into a pit? Our lift at Abbeydale is not in a pit but does have a continuous protecting switch strip around the edges so that if that strikes an object (e.g. a foot) the lift immediately stops operating. A lift platform descending into a pit without that protection would act as guillotine on a hand or a foot.

George

Posted: Sun 17th Jun 2018, 5:03pm

You are quite right to put in some kind of protection. At my work the lifts have this on the underside of the table. Does the same but you don’t accidentally put something on it

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 32

Replies: 113

Posted: Sun 17th Jun 2018, 5:13pm

I take your point Mick about H & S in my case I'm not operating as a club but as a private garden railway and in my case there is no full width platform as in the Hunslet pic, the track is simply bolted to the two transverse beams of the lift itself to assist access to any loco on it for repair or maintenance purposes, the 'filler' boards will only be put in place once the lift has been fully lowered. The machine is fitted with a safety toggle which would prevent it lowering in case of a hydraulic failure a good safety feature

George

Topics: 3

Replies: 15

Posted: Tue 19th Jun 2018, 8:56am

Go for a ton. You know it makes sense. Also make it 3 mtrs if possible. People seem to be building bigger and bigger locos these days

Little Hunslet

Posted: Wed 20th Jun 2018, 9:14am

Interesting to see how everyone comes out of the woodwork with advice now the job is done. My original post was last November! We purchased the lift, installed it in our original pit and it does the job beautifully. I will be posting another photo when the side movement rails are complete.

Pete

Mick

Posted: Wed 20th Jun 2018, 5:00pm

I think your comment about us coming out of the woodwork is inappropriate. I answered your query shortly after your request for advice, as did other members who wanted to help you too. My latest response regarding the danger of a lifting table which can descend into a pit if it doesn't have fail safe protection followed your publication of a photo of your table with a pit. Our table and all our lifting equipment is examined annually and certified safe by a lifting engineer. I suggest you seek a similar expert's advice regarding yours.

Mick

Posted: Wed 20th Jun 2018, 5:00pm

I think your comment about us coming out of the woodwork is inappropriate. I answered your query shortly after your request for advice, as did other members who also wanted to help you. My latest response regarding the danger of a lifting table which can descend into a pit if it doesn't have fail safe protection was prompted by your publication of a photo of your table with a pit. Our table and all our lifting equipment is examined annually and certified safe by a lifting engineer. I suggest you seek a similar expert's advice regarding yours.

Xz

Topics: 22

Replies: 269

Posted: Wed 20th Jun 2018, 7:49pm

I'm afraid forums tend to be a bit that way, replies are like busses, they arrive in threes, usualy late!

We should be grateful that folks are willing to stick their necks out, and at least try to be helpful.

Little Hunslet

Posted: Fri 22nd Jun 2018, 8:43am

Indeed Xz and I was very grateful for the advice given. We are now progressing with widening the pit by about a metre and the sidewall you see in the photo has now gone. When the rails and rollers are installed we will review the safety aspect again to see if more needs to be done. The lift itself (Peak MC600) has a mechanical safety lock as it rises and whilst engines are being loaded/unloaded but is in the hands of the operator when lowering at which time there should be no need for anyone to be near it. Thanks again for all the advice, another photo when completed.

Pete

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 20

Replies: 136

Posted: Fri 22nd Jun 2018, 11:55am

The one we fitted at Ravensprings came with anti trap protection but we removed when we fitted it to a pit. The way we have got around is to make the decent very slow and yes it is then down to the operator to make sure ther is no trap risk.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot