« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Locomotive weights

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 11:07am
Locomotive weights

We are about to build/buy a motorised hydraulic lift to ease the loading and unloading of locos etc. onto our track from cars and vans. I know my Romulus weighs around 300kg but have no idea about the weight of a standard gauge pacific for example. Can anyone help please?
Thanks Pete King

Replies To This Post

PeteW

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 1:43pm

A quick look on the Archive Section at Stationroadsteam indicates a 7.25" Britannia and Black 5 weigh about 1/4 of a tonne each. The lengths are given too.

A large American loco is over 1/2 tonne according to the same source.

Our club recently installed a lift which will cope with a tonne.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Little Hunslet

Topics: 4

Replies: 12

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 5:59pm

Many thanks Pete, not a place I have come across before but very interesting. The lift I am looking at will take 600kg so big enough for a C19 which is more than adequate for us.

Cheers Pete

PeteW

Topics: 0

Replies: 21

Posted: Fri 3rd Nov 2017, 6:29pm

Their website has some very useful information and photos doesn't it? Good luck with the project Pete. Why not put some photos up as you go along?

Pete.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Sat 4th Nov 2017, 8:24am

At Abbeydale we are now on our second hydraulic lift, the first was more than sufficient for the weight of locos, but not long enough to cope with a loco and tender combined or a diesel loco which would fit the turntable but not the lifting table. So length is also important when choosing a lifting table.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot