« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Locomotives to purchase

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 27

Replies: 91

Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2017, 3:31pm
Locomotives to purchase

Summer 2017 should see the first loop of track here up and running. I have one loco a CMD engineering 'Knight' class petrol/hydraulic. I would like to add a battery electric and possibly steam too. I'm looking to purchase new, ready to run, proven tried and tested. Looking at what's on offer commercially most seem to be of small dimensions with 1.1/2 inches to the ft, scale you end up with quite a tiny loco at about 12 inches in width. I've looked at Ride on Railways Capt. Howey that seems a very substantial loco at a price within my budget and for steam the Stafford & Feldbhan (standard size) looks to be maybe the right Loco's for my garden railway where I have a minimum of 30ft radius and a max gradient of 1 in 41. There doesn't seem much choice unless going bespoke at considerably higher cost?

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2017, 4:38pm

We have had several members in the Sheffield club owning Staffords, including one of the large 7¼" gauge version, and all performed satisfactorily during extensive public running on our track which has similar radii and gradients as yours. Spares are readily available if needed. I have no connection with Station Road Steam who build them.

MartynRedfearn

Topics: 16

Replies: 107

Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2017, 9:01pm

If you want 'big' 7 1/4 steam then have a look at Moors Valley offerings through their engineering services http://www.moorsvalleyrailway.co.uk/pages/narogauge-services.html
Battery electric
http://phoenixlocos.com/products/model-locos/the-tug/

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Fri 13th Jan 2017, 9:08pm

Parkside http://www.parksiderailways.co.uk/large_universal_chassis_61.html

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Sun 15th Jan 2017, 8:46am

There is also Ride on Railways
http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/sevengauge/page01.html

MartynRedfearn

Posted: Sun 15th Jan 2017, 8:47am

You might also want to look https://www.facebook.com/groups/miniaturerailwaysuppliers/

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Thu 19th Jan 2017, 9:29am

Thanks Martyn and Mick for replying, As I don't have the restrictions of moving a loco from home to club tracks etc. the Moors Valley site shows how it's possible to have quite sizeable loco's and rolling stock within 7.1/4, I've decided to buy a 'Vale of Ffestionog' loco from member Phoenix Locomotives. I'm still considering steam and quite taken with the Feldbhan 0-6-0 in standard size, I think the 'Big Feldbhan' might be a tad overkill on my limited garden railway? Cost is also a consideration.

guidomattoli

Topics: 0

Replies: 5

Posted: Fri 17th Feb 2017, 11:06pm

this is a new steam locomotive very very heavy.
Perhaps is it too large for your Track?
greetings

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 19th Feb 2017, 9:08am

Thanks for your reply Guidomattoli Should there be a pic of the loco? What's heavy?

guidomattoli

Posted: Sun 19th Feb 2017, 10:12pm

Sorry, I'm trying to send a pic but unfortunately I don't succeed.
Please see LATEST MEMBER PHOTO.....New locomotive in Central Italy.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Mon 20th Feb 2017, 3:01pm

Guido, to place photos in the forum you must first reduce the file size. The details have been on here previously but I can't remember exactly when or what they are.

That's a mighty fine looking beast!

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Mon 20th Feb 2017, 4:00pm

It looks like a 'Sweet Creek'. Designed by Keith Watson (Australia)and marketed by Roll Models (USA) or Cromar White (UK).

guidomattoli

Posted: Tue 21st Feb 2017, 12:00pm

Yes, I bought this big loco in Australia from Keith Watson some 12 years ago.
The boiler was Made in England two years ago.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Thu 23rd Feb 2017, 1:52pm

Thanks to all for replies took a look at the pic a fine Loco indeed, it look as if it might need more than my 30 ft track radius? Since originally starting this thread I'v agreed to buy a VALE OF FFESTINIOG' battery electric and a steam 'BIG FELDBHAM' 0-6-0 Both are biggish Loco's at about 2ft wide and fairly heavy which isn't a problem as I have own transport and once here on my site I can handle up to 3 tons I'm not planning on going to other tracks as I don't think there are any 7. 1/4 in my part of Eastern France?

guidomattoli

Posted: Thu 23rd Feb 2017, 9:53pm

My track is around 30 ft radius and the loco runs very well.
Guido
My track is around 30 ft radius and the loco runs very well.
Guido

chapelon

Topics: 2

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 25th Feb 2017, 9:47am

Hello HauteSaone,

This reply just to let you know that there is a very nice track layout located in Corgirnon which is a few miles east of Langres, off the road to Vesoul (N 19). It should not be too far from you place. Running days are always crowded and any "big" locomotive is welcome (equipped with air braking since we seldom use vacuum on the continent). I don't know if they speak any English or if you speak any French. I am member of this club, French, but speak English fluently. I can help you getting in contact if you want.
Running days are always Sundays, but Saturdays are "playdays" for the members. The site is also equipped for motorhomes or caravans.

Here is the link to their website :

http://cfnccorgrf.cluster005.ovh.net/

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers.

Michel (Paris - France)

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 19th Mar 2017, 4:15pm

Good afternoon Michel, thanks for your reply, My place is at Mercey Sur Saone so I'm only about 1 hours drive away, I regret to say my French is poor better with the written than the spoken because of hearing problems. I would love to visit the club track one day though currently I'm spending every last minute when I'm at Mercey trying to establish the track.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot