« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Milners Hunslet

Steve'0

Topics: 1

Replies: 3

Posted: Sat 12th Mar 2011, 7:16pm
Milners Hunslet

Hello , I am currently building to J.Milners plans his Hunslet , I have come across a problem with setting the valve gear , has anyone had his problem and how has it been overcome ,thanks

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sat 12th Mar 2011, 9:45pm

Steve,
What is the problem - I built the chassis for one (before I decided it was too small) and got it air tested - I don't remember any problems ???
Peter

Steve'0

Posted: Sun 13th Mar 2011, 11:35pm

Hello Peter , thanks for your reply , the plans I have are dated 1979 ,the measurements are to the plan and I have checked and rechecked , with the valve in the center position and when moved to full gear the valve strikes inside the chest , I have moved the eccentrics so many times with no success , I gather the plans have a mistake somewhere or maybe an amendment , any help is appreciated , Steve

Peter Beevers

Posted: Mon 14th Mar 2011, 3:02pm

Steve,
I built mine from plan supplied by Reeves, which (assuming my memory serves me right) had version dates after that. I also recollect in the dark corners of my mind speaking to someone who spoke about an amendment sheet for the original Milner drawings.
One thing's for sure - if the valve hits the chest, moving the eccentrics won't help - that simply changes the point of admission, not the stroke.
Now, I have no idea what this change/changes is/are. However, if you don't turn up anything else, we can always feed the measurements into a valve gear simulator and find out where the error lies. It would involve you taking about a dozen or so measurements, and I'd be happy to do it for you if you wanted. Drop me an email if you would like me to help.
Regards
Peter

gall335i

Topics: 2

Replies: 6

Posted: Fri 13th May 2011, 8:41am

Hi,

i'm just starting to build the 3 inch scale hunslet from AJ Reeves and have been looking around the net for building info and come across this site which will help you out, look in the cylinder section and he describes how he gets around the same problem your having.

http://www.beevers.org.uk/min_rly/holywar.htm

HTH

Andrew.

Steve'0

Posted: Tue 17th May 2011, 12:01am

Hi Andrew , thanks for your letter , the hunslet I am working on is a 4 inch scale one to milners drawings, I think the problem lies in either the eccentrics , strapps or expansion links , I tried reeves to see if their were amendments to the plans and apparently not so I will keep working on it , Thanks Steve

Peter Beevers

Posted: Tue 17th May 2011, 6:26am

Steve,
Is the valve hitting the chest at the front,rear or both? One or other suggests (and I stress, suggests) incorrect valve position on rod, both suggest incorrect throw.
Still happy to help if required, email me at peter@beevers.org.uk
Regards
Peter

Steve'0

Posted: Tue 17th May 2011, 7:10pm

Hi Peter , once again thanks for your offer , I have sent 2 emails to you , some how they have not got to you , I will try again tonight . I tend to agree with you that it is incorrect throw and I think the expansion link radius is not correct , with the valve adjusted it would strike the front , if I reset the valve to clear the front it would strike the back , I have machined out the inside diameter of the valve chest to give clearence , doing this has not solved the problem , the plans I am working to show 7 7/16 Radius on the expansion link and a footnote ammend exp link radius see notes , there are no notes so I have taken the plans to be ammended , I wrote to reeves to get them to check the plans , they advised no notes , maybe some one who has built one may be able to check their drawings to confirm this or have notes , once again Thanks , Steve

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot