Sign In above to begin adding replies.

My first Petrol loco

vulcanworks

Topics: 11

Replies: 15

Posted: Tue 31st Jan 2017, 10:33am
My first Petrol loco

Hi,
We've been hiring out our 5" Phoenix Titan loco for two years very successfully, but we keep getting asked for something "bigger", so we're switching to 7 1/4" gauge (apart from the larger gauge being more stable). We were very green to the hobby when we started, but after running, maintaining, modding and generally tinkering with the Titan we're well versed in how a Battery/Electric loco works, but we're thinking for our new loco (probably a Tug from Phoenix) we could go Petrol for the power unit. What I'd like to ask is, what is the most common way people have got power from the engine to the axle(s), implemented some sort of forward/reverse capability and do you use a clutch ? Is anyone familiar with the Tug from Phoenix ?

Thanks

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Tue 31st Jan 2017, 11:23am

Probably the most common, and simplest way, is with a hydrostatic gearbox. That will give you clutch (effect) and forward and reverse in one unit. Keith at Phoenix should be able to advise you.

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Tue 31st Jan 2017, 6:15pm

You might like to have a look at my article on page 15 of the Winter 2015 NEWS, where I describe the principles of my 'Electric gearbox'. Up to 1hp it is a simple alternative to the Eaton Hydrostst, and can easily be applied to a bogie loco as well, with a 1/2hp motor on each bogie. (http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/media/documents/7.25winter2015news.pdf)

vulcanworks

Posted: Wed 1st Feb 2017, 6:38pm

Many thanks for the replies. I was just reading the articles on Spuggy and Scamp. I'm also going to see a Phoenix Tug on the High Legh Railway on Sunday, so that'll give me an idea what I can fit in the engine space. I was extremely impressed with the pulling power of the Titan 5 (15 adult passengers no problem) - that had 4 250W motors (2 in each bogie), so that gives me a rough idea to aim for with the new loco.

Keithf7

Topics: 0

Replies: 19

Posted: Thu 2nd Feb 2017, 8:47am

The Titan 5 has four 150w motors. The Tug is fitted with two 750w motors.

colinedmondson

Posted: Thu 2nd Feb 2017, 9:44am

If you would also like to visit the Mid-Cheshire line at Blakemere craft centre on Sunday you can have a look at the first TYKE loco, a bogie version of Scamp, which is running there at the moment. I won't be there, but tell them I sent you. It is about 10 miles from High Legh.

vulcanworks

Posted: Mon 6th Feb 2017, 6:39pm

Just like to thank everyone at High Legh and also Keith from Phoenix Loco's for letting me view their resident Tug. A very informative afternoon, giving me plenty to ponder.

Apologise to Colin that we didn't get a chance to get over to the Mid-Cheshire line to see TYKE.

colinedmondson

Posted: Wed 8th Feb 2017, 6:45pm

No problem, I was actually at High Legh as well, I think I saw you there.

Graham

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Tue 4th Apr 2017, 1:27pm

Hi If you are ever in the Northampton area come along to one of our public run days where you can meet either Upnor Castle or Esmerelda both petrol hydraulics we run the May bank holiday Monday then the first Sunday of the month. Ask for Graham I will introduce you to which ever I am running that day

vulcanworks

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 10:28am

Sorry for taking so long to reply.
Thank you Graham for the offer - something we'll bear in mind.

I've just started a parallel thread for diesel engines.

We're taking delivery of an Abbots Model Engineering electric loco shortly, but are also in the process of ordering a Tug from Phoenix - we just need to decide on the powerplant. We've sussed getting power from the engine to the motors to the axles using a method similar to that used in Scamp - it's whether the method can be adapted to a diesel engine, hence starting a separate thread.

vulcanworks

Posted: Mon 5th Jun 2017, 10:29am

Sorry for taking so long to reply.
Thank you Graham for the offer - something we'll bear in mind.

I've just started a parallel thread for diesel engines.

We're taking delivery of an Abbots Model Engineering electric loco shortly, but are also in the process of ordering a Tug from Phoenix - we just need to decide on the powerplant. We've sussed getting power from the engine to the motors to the axles using a method similar to that used in Scamp - it's whether the method can be adapted to a diesel engine, hence starting a separate thread.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot