« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Packing for hand pumps

paul winstone

Topics: 1

Replies: 4

Posted: Sat 15th Sep 2012, 1:35pm
Packing for hand pumps

A simple question. What's the most successful type of packing for a hand pump these days. It's a 1" Maxitrak on a Pearl.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 15th Sep 2012, 2:40pm

It depends a bit on the design, if it's a piston seal then I would go with an "O" ring every time. If it's a gland with union nut or flange (2 studs) then P.T.F.E. makes a good job. You can also, in that case use plumber's P.T.F.E. tape, clean out the old packing and take a good length of tape and fold it in half a couple of times, then twist it into a string, and use like graphited yarn. Don't overtighten it, just till it stops weeping.

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Sat 15th Sep 2012, 7:18pm

Have to agree 110% - PTFE string everywhere, there's nothing like it.

paul winstone

Posted: Sat 15th Sep 2012, 9:37pm

Excellent steer. I had tried the graphited yarn and it shredded too quickly. I had never thought of ptfe tape but it's a great material. Thanks.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 16th Sep 2012, 8:26am

If you're shredding graphited yarn, check the piston rod very carefully to see there are no rough spots, and give it a good clean (fine emery cloth). If there are, it will shred the P.T.F. E. just as quickly. Clearance between the rod and gland nut should also be as small as possible.

paul winstone

Posted: Wed 16th Apr 2014, 7:40am

Update- PTFE string is working fine, it's not leak free but after bedding in its working well.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot