« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Passenger Coach Bogies - article in News

georgecoles

Topics: 19

Replies: 90

Posted: Mon 31st Oct 2011, 11:03pm
Passenger Coach Bogies - article in News

I have seen an article in a back number of the News, which discussed primary and secondary suspension on passenger coach bogies. I've looked thro' the archive, but can't see what I want in the listed ones, and the earlier ones have not yet had their contents listed. Can anyone point me towards the right issue. Thanks, George

Replies To This Post

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Tue 1st Nov 2011, 3:21pm

The main excellent article that comes to mind was the one about the old Echills Wood Bogies.

John Nicholson

georgecoles

Posted: Tue 1st Nov 2011, 7:00pm

Thanks John, Do you know in which issue I can find this, as the archive doesn't list contents for the earlier issues?
George

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Tue 1st Nov 2011, 8:53pm

What is it you are looking for, anything that we can help with? Colin

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Wed 2nd Nov 2011, 11:13am

One other article that may be of use is on the Taunton Model Engineers website, they have some plans for "arch bar" type bogies and there is some discussion about springing in the description.

Cheers

Chris..

Mike

Topics: 2

Replies: 20

Posted: Wed 2nd Nov 2011, 6:03pm

I printed out Rodney Weaver's article on the Echoll's Wood bogies, but all it shows for identification is "Copyright 2008". I suspect the article is older than that, since Rodney mentions having them in Service in 1981. I'd start looking in the archives about Autumn 1981. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Mike

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Thu 3rd Nov 2011, 10:46pm

I have included a photo of the bogies that I supplied to High Legh railway. The lower half carries all the running gear and brakes, with 4 coil springs (rubber in the Mk11 version) carrying the weight of the unladen coaches. The lower frame is 'H; shaped and has the flexibility to follow track irregularities. On top of this the flexible top accepts articulated or normal use, it can twist slightly to allow movement between articulated coaches and has couplings built in. As the passengers climb on the load transfers to cone shaped rubbers pressing straight onto the bearings, taking the main loading independently of the bogie frames. In practice they work well, with no maintenance except for bearing greasing. It is interesting to watch them in use, as the lower section has lateral flexibility as well, and you can watch it following kinks in the track while the coach 'floats' above.
I have included a photo of the bogies that I supplied to High Legh railway. The lower half carries all the running gear and brakes, with 4 coil springs (rubber in the Mk11 version) carrying the weight of the unladen coaches. The lower frame is 'H; shaped and has the flexibility to follow track irregularities. On top of this the flexible top accepts articulated or normal use, it can twist slightly to allow movement between articulated coaches and has couplings built in. As the passengers climb on the load transfers to cone shaped rubbers pressing straight onto the bearings, taking the main loading independently of the bogie frames. In practice they work well, with no maintenance except for bearing greasing. It is interesting to watch them in use, as the lower section has lateral flexibility as well, and you can watch it following kinks in the track while the coach 'floats' above.

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 69

Posted: Sat 5th Nov 2011, 9:52pm

As the archive does not appear for older issue I went back to the published booklet index for NEWS issues 1 - 80. The old method worked first time apart the figures for this article were transposed in the booklet. The article on the Echills Wood bogie is very valid in thatthe description of secondary springing is spot on. The design of the frames of the bogie could be easily altered but the principles are good.

The articles is in Issue No. 20 of the NEWS starting on page 27. When you look at the archive the pdf toolbar page Nos do not follow the printed page numbers of the NEWS so move the toolbar out of the way and follow the printed page Nos.

Hope this is useful
John Nicholson

georgecoles

Posted: Sun 6th Nov 2011, 9:51am

Thanks John
That is indeed the article for which I was looking.
As you say on another topic, it would be helpful if the Index for Issues 1-80 was also available in the archive.
George

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot