« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Peter Almond Royal Scots

jonhutchings

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 4:31pm
Peter Almond Royal Scots

As a small boy I live along the road in WIckford, Essex to a talented engineer, Pete Almond who built 7 1/4" Royal Scots. I just discovered that these got mentioned in back issue 76, much to my delight.
I have many happy memories of taking the first of these completed to the late lamented north benfleet miniature railway in the back of Peter Lada estate (!) for test runs.

I know one (6115 - Scots Guardsman) is on the Great Cockrow railway, does anyone have any up to date info on the others. I'd love to know if they are all still running. Peter was an extremely talented engineer who made everything him self (I remember the suitcases of wooden patterns he made whilst working as a toolmaker on an Norwegian oil rig in the 70's). The sight of 6 Unpainted Royal Scots in a line in a normal suburban garage was a sight to behold.
I lost track of peter in the early 1990s when he moved to lincolnshire (having built a house himself - including his own Oak framed double glazing units) - at that time he was making two 5" I think GWR kings, which were at the air running stage.
If anyone has any info I'd love to hear, always dreamt of seeing the engines again.

Replies To This Post

brianlee

Replies: 14

Posted: Sat 26th Oct 2013, 1:56pm

issue no 75 of the News contains most of the info on the 6 Peter Almond Royal Scots. Unique feature of these locos is the tenders with the Dummy Rivets which are pressed in.
Mistake in your topic is that the Royal Scot patterns are NOT wood but a Black Plastic and are kept in the original suitcase. I have owned these patterns for about 25 years but they are out on loan.Also Peter Almond built a pair of 7 1/4 G GWR Kings. I visited Peter at the house he was building in Lincolnshire about 25 years ago.
Brian S. Lee

jonhutchings

Posted: Sun 27th Oct 2013, 7:29pm

Hello Brian

Thank you for your reply, great to hear the patterns survive - as for thinking they were wood I was only twelve or thirteen at the time! I still have somewhere some trial builders plates (North British diamonds) and name plates which peter gave me. He made them with a pantograph setup out of brass, and the builders plates were stamped on this brass which he then fixed to a thicker plate. I remember having a go at stamping these with him - mine did not meet his standards!

One thing about the article, is that it perhaps painted peter as a man with a shed at the end of the garden. In actual fact he had three garages (two knocked together which formed the workshop and a third which housed the locos) plus a shed for woodworking. The workshop was, in the eyes of twelve year old, a very well equipped affair, with a mill, large colchester lathe, surface grinder, and pantograph milling machine attachment (from memory), as well as the usual drills.

My memory played tricks with the kings, they were of course 7 .25 as well. They were air running chassis by the time he left Wickford.

Still interested to know if all the 6 are with the same owners as when the article was published (1995, 18 years ago now!).

Happy days.

Jon

brianlee

Posted: Tue 5th Nov 2013, 9:03pm

Hello Jon
Of the original six Royal Scots , a man from Northern Ireland by the name of Jim Robb bought two of the locos and brought them both to the Royal Scot rally at birmingham around the early nineties. He sold one loco to a man who lives in Staffordshire . I have photos of the two Jim Robb locos.Another loco was sold to a man who lived near Knutsford and one loco went to a man in Essex.
I think Mike pavie may have owned one loco but think he may have sold it.
Regards
Brian Lee

jonhutchings

Posted: Sat 9th Nov 2013, 6:41pm

HI Brian.

If there is any way you could send me copies of the photos of the two owned by Jim Robb I'd be very grateful. If this is possible do let me know the best way for you.

Jon

brianlee

Posted: Sat 15th Mar 2014, 9:14pm

Hello Jon Hutchings
Suggest you contact me via email at brianlee9999@tiscali.co.uk
I will see where I have put the photos of the Jim Robb/ Peter Almond Royal Scots. I can also let u have Jim Robbs phone no.
Regards
Brian Lee

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot