« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Ride on Carriages

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2015, 8:51am
Ride on Carriages

Ride on Carriages
My club thinks that passenger carriages such a Aristocraft should only carry four passengers. This is because of the danger of people falling off the back!
Any one got any comments about this

Replies To This Post

Topics: 8

Replies: 54

Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2015, 2:27pm

Hi George and all

While I don't have an answer to this, I would suggest a possible response. The risk assessment method might be appropriate here perhaps also a review of evidence - does anyone know of any cases where someone has fallen off the back of such a coach ?
It is easy to suggest that something carries a risk, but a blanket rule implemented without real data is perhaps a bit excessive. Presumably the 4th person should sit sufficiently far forward that when leaning back there would be adequate seat space to support them ? If so might the unequal loading between the front and rear of the vehicle lead to issues in its own right ? I have known many derailments in our gauge caused by unequal axle loading - and personally none from someone falling off the back.

Just a thought as always.

Cheers, Ivan.

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2015, 9:51pm

Does this suggestion to apply to every coach, as surely the main worry is the last coach and if you have to have a guard then this would diminish the risk of a passenger toppling over backwards. However they could do this if they were the only passenger, so surely a sensible precaution would to recommend that all passengers sit upright and no lean back! So short of clamping all the passengers on, which would cause its own problems, I would say leave well alone unless you have had a spate of passengers falling off in this fashion whilst using that style of coaches, then I would say that rather than limit the number of passengers you should conduct a risk assessment on the use of the coaches, check with other operators of this style of coaches and see if they have had any problems.

Roger Brown
« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot