Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Ride on Carriages

georgewhite

Topics: 3

Replies: 12

Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2015, 8:51am
Ride on Carriages

Ride on Carriages
My club thinks that passenger carriages such a Aristocraft should only carry four passengers. This is because of the danger of people falling off the back!
Any one got any comments about this

Replies To This Post

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2015, 2:27pm

Hi George and all

While I don't have an answer to this, I would suggest a possible response. The risk assessment method might be appropriate here perhaps also a review of evidence - does anyone know of any cases where someone has fallen off the back of such a coach ?
It is easy to suggest that something carries a risk, but a blanket rule implemented without real data is perhaps a bit excessive. Presumably the 4th person should sit sufficiently far forward that when leaning back there would be adequate seat space to support them ? If so might the unequal loading between the front and rear of the vehicle lead to issues in its own right ? I have known many derailments in our gauge caused by unequal axle loading - and personally none from someone falling off the back.

Just a thought as always.

Cheers, Ivan.

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Sun 21st Jun 2015, 9:51pm

Does this suggestion to apply to every coach, as surely the main worry is the last coach and if you have to have a guard then this would diminish the risk of a passenger toppling over backwards. However they could do this if they were the only passenger, so surely a sensible precaution would to recommend that all passengers sit upright and no lean back! So short of clamping all the passengers on, which would cause its own problems, I would say leave well alone unless you have had a spate of passengers falling off in this fashion whilst using that style of coaches, then I would say that rather than limit the number of passengers you should conduct a risk assessment on the use of the coaches, check with other operators of this style of coaches and see if they have had any problems.

Roger Brown

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot