« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

River Class - Tarn Beck and Afon Glaslyn

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011, 8:16am
River Class - Tarn Beck and Afon Glaslyn

I have been admiring the video of Tarn Beck and Afon Glaslyn that was recently posted on this web site. A quick hunt around the inter wibble has not revealed much about the River Class locos other than both locos were built by a gentleman from the Porthmadoc area. Has anyone got any more information on these lovely locos? Are there drawings available?

Thanks.

Replies To This Post

Quavey

Topics: 0

Replies: 5

Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011, 6:36pm

Hi simon. Both locos were indeed built by a gentleman from porthmadoc. There no drawings available for these engines. Tarn beck was a commission for my father and is based on our private railway, the littledale light railway. Afon glaslyn belongs to her builder. The railway will be open in conjunction with a national gardens scheme open garden on Sunday the 19th if you would like to take a closer look. If not tarn beck does feature on occasion in the 2008 and 2009 AgM DVDs and i assume in the 2010 but I havnt seen that. Also the spring edition of the 7 1/4 news contained an article about the railway and the engine.

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2011, 8:07pm

Hi. Thanks for the information - it's a shame that the drawings are not available but I can understand the situation. Both are beautiful locomotives and it would have made a lovely 'next' project - I can hear the gasps of horror from my fellow society members at the thought of a locomotive of that size on our bridge!

Simon

chayharris

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 9th Jun 2011, 6:37pm

Hi simon, it was my grandfather who built the two loco's. they're two very unique engines but Afon Glaslyn isn't finished yet. It ran at the 2009 AGM but without vaccum brakes. It's currently at the home of Tarn Beck untill his garage is cleaned. Huge locos but the simplest i've ever driven. Powerful aswell.

Bob

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 11th May 2017, 10:32am

Folks Looking for outline dimensional data of large 7 1/4 locos to put a top limit on a spec for a club loco lift. can you please help with approx overall lengths of tender and loco plus loco weight.

Regards

Bob

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Thu 11th May 2017, 4:52pm

Bob, get a table at least 14' long, and capable of lifting 1.5 tons, and you'll handle anything I can (or will in future) want to throw at it.
However, if you wish to remain more conventional, 9' and 1.5 tons will suffice - I know of more than one railway that has a lifting table these sizes.
Peter

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot