« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Romulus 0-6-0

Nlinwood

Topics: 3

Replies: 3

Posted: Thu 19th Dec 2013, 3:33pm
Romulus 0-6-0

At what height should the Blast Nozzle be below the Chimney to create the draught to clear ash from yhe bottom row of tubes.

Nigel

Replies To This Post

Northerner

Topics: 1

Replies: 6

Posted: Tue 14th Jan 2014, 3:57am

Hi Nigel
I have a Romulus 2-6-0 which I purchased as a pre used unit. It had great difficulty in making steam without the blower on all the time. Fitting a Lempor Nozzle improved the situation completely, the nozzle is approximately 30mm below the bottom of the chimney, no bell mouth fitted. The following link might prove usefull

www.trevorheath.com/livesteaming/Lempor.htm

Martin

Nlinwood

Posted: Sat 25th Jan 2014, 7:42pm

Hi Martin
Thank you for your reply i have looked at all of the relevant information so will be looking at the Lempor Nozzle and its design with a view to fitting one in the near future.

Nigel

John Mills

Topics: 1

Replies: 9

Posted: Sun 26th Jan 2014, 5:13pm

Nigel,
If you have access to Henry Greenly's book on steam loco design, he shows that the blastpipe should be set so that there is a 1:6 taper from the top of the chimney to the blast pipe orifice and a 1:3 taper from the bottom of the parallel portion of the petticoat pipe also to the blastpipe orifice. He also has a table giving giving recommended sizes for the blastpipe orifice diameter. This latter can be quite critical, so it is worth making sure that the correct size is made. If you have trouble, then send me a drawing of your smokebox/ chimney etc and I will take a look and see if it needs tweaking! I have found that Greenly's approach is spot on and can be relied upon to give good results and plenty of steam.
John Mills
E-mail: johnmills082@yahoo.com

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sun 26th Jan 2014, 6:38pm

Those numbers are fine John, apart from the lack of a petticoat pipe on a Rommy, He he!

I would suggest if your having problems getting a std. Rommy boiler to make steam, you should perhaps be looking elsewhere, like smoke-box (or door) leaking, or lack of air getting through the grate into the fire-box. When I built mine I had an embarrassing amount of steam, I couldn't stop it blowing off, I had to increase the size of the blast pipe a couple of sizes to calm it down, and even now I can run round all day with only about half an inch of fire in the box.

When I'm near the drawings I'll take a look and see what it says. Six wheels, or four, it will make no difference, as the cylinders are presumably the same.

bruce morgans

Topics: 6

Replies: 18

Posted: Mon 27th Jan 2014, 5:56pm

Nigel please see photo of my Romulus smokebox internals which was built largely to the Roger Marsh Drawings as supplied by Reeves. The loco performs and steams brilliantly with very little need to use the blower.
My Romulus has a steel boiler with 12 tubes, the smokebox is an extension of the boiler barrel having an internal diameter of 188mm. The blast pipe bush is located approximately 75mm below the chimney base. The bore of the bush in the blast pipe is 25/64 inch.
As Xz has already stated there are other factors that can affect the steaming of your boiler. Check that the blast pipe is correctly aligned with the chimney. The internal diameter of the chimney at is base should be 56mm, check that it has not been reduced by a build up of oil/char.
The grate design is important and I find having a metal to air ratio of 50/50 with 5mm spacing between the bars works fine. Hope this helps. Regards Bruce
Nigel please see photo of my Romulus smokebox internals which was built largely to the Roger Marsh Drawings as supplied by Reeves. The loco performs and steams brilliantly with very little need to use the blower.
My Romulus has a steel boiler with 12 tubes, the smokebox is an extension of the boiler barrel having an internal diameter of 188mm. The blast pipe bush is located approximately 75mm below the chimney base. The bore of the bush in the blast pipe is 25/64 inch.
As Xz has already stated there are other factors that can affect the steaming of your boiler. Check that the blast pipe is correctly aligned with the chimney. The internal diameter of the chimney at is base should be 56mm, check that it has not been reduced by a build up of oil/char.
The grate design is important and I find having a metal to air ratio of 50/50 with 5mm spacing between the bars works fine. Hope this helps. Regards Bruce

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Mon 27th Jan 2014, 8:53pm

Agreed Bruce, with the grate design, mine is 3/16" bars and spacers, which is just 'imperial' for 5mm. Wider would probably do but I don't think narrower would work so well.

Mine has been running for over twenty years now and is still on the original bars. (stainless).

Bob

N Linwood

Posted: Mon 17th Feb 2014, 4:24pm

Thank you to all who put ideas into the pot I can now carry on and get the Beast steaming properly.

Nigel

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot