Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Romulus Safety Valve Spring

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Wed 16th Feb 2011, 9:26am
Romulus Safety Valve Spring

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the specification for a safety valve for a Romulus? Reeves list a suitable spring but I cannot see what the specification is.

Thanks.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 16th Feb 2011, 10:06am

Simon, the spec for that spring isn't really tied down, as a very wide variety will do the job, dependant somewhat upon your safety valve design. If you don't want to use the one from Reeves then you may have to experiment a little to get exactly what you want, remembering, of course, the requirements of the boiler regs. Make sure it is made of something that wont corrode and loose strength, such as stainless steel.

Simon J

Topics: 9

Replies: 11

Posted: Thu 17th Feb 2011, 9:23am

Thanks. Reeves do have some springs in stock so I'll get a couple from them and then I can find out what the spec. is for future reference.

Simon

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Thu 17th Feb 2011, 10:10am

The pressure to be exerted by the spring is dependent on the area of the steam way in the valve. If you are using two safety valves then the required area will be split between them and may total more than that required for one (added safety).

Simplistically, if the area was 1 sqin (1 valve) then the required push from the spring would be 100lbs if that were your max boiler pressure.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot