Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Romulus Valve Gear

tonygosling

Topics: 2

Replies: 13

Posted: Wed 18th Feb 2015, 8:26am
Romulus Valve Gear

On behalf of member J.W.
"I am having a problem in sorting out the valve events on my Romulus and I wonder if another builder of it had the same problem and was able to resolve it?
The engine goes, but not as well as it should and reverse is really very poor with the locomotive sometimes requiring a push to get it going. I have followed the drawings but I am not convinced that they are totally correct.I shall be grateful to have some guidance."

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Wed 18th Feb 2015, 2:25pm

If he likes to give me a ring I'll certainly chat about it.

Bob Gray.

tonygosling

Posted: Wed 18th Feb 2015, 4:47pm

Thanks, Bob! I have passed your phone number on to John and I am sure that he will call you! He lives in Minehead so a bit of a distance from you for a face to face chat!
Tony

denismulford

Topics: 4

Replies: 24

Posted: Wed 18th Feb 2015, 10:19pm

Long time ago since I made my Romulus and cannot find the drawings at the moment but I seem to remember an error on a rod, the valve rod I think, which meant having to raise the weighshaft by either 5/16" or ⅜".

Can have a sort in the workshop if needed.

Denis Mulford

tonygosling

Posted: Thu 19th Feb 2015, 8:25am

Thanks Denis - I am passing that on!

Tony

Xz

Posted: Thu 19th Feb 2015, 11:32am

That's is not an error that I have found (doesn't mean it isn't there though). The biggest problems I have found with numerous Rommy V/Gs that I've messed with is that people change one thing slightly, due to some other alteration they've conceived, and it has a 'knock-on' further down the system. I have to say it's not always the case, but one of the most common, is assuming that the die-slide should be vertical in mid-gear, then they move other sizes/positions around to achieve it. Hackworth is all about centres and right-angles. Whilst it has its detractors, it is generally a very forgiving and long lasting Gear.

redrom

Topics: 0

Replies: 1

Posted: Sat 21st Feb 2015, 8:18am

Thanks to Bob Grey for phone info.and all others with other ideas I now have enough gen. to correct a few faults ie. die block angle and weight shaft position." off to the workshop".
John W

WembleyLion

Replies: 34

Posted: Sat 21st Feb 2015, 11:18am

I seem to remember that some time ago (15 / 20 years) the late Rodney Weaver doing an article for the News regarding corrections to and set-up of Romulus valve gear; I guess it will be in the News archive on this site.

John

Xz

Posted: Sat 21st Feb 2015, 12:09pm

I think you're right, John. Finding it would be a lot easier if we had a search facility!

RStearn

Topics: 0

Replies: 12

Posted: Sat 21st Feb 2015, 12:48pm

I have a crude index for the news letters in which I can find 60 entries for articles and 38 entries for "Letter to the Editor" from Rodney Weaver.

I can post the results here or email to whoever would like them as appropriate.

p.s. indexing the newsletters in the archive is probably not practical as a significant number are scanned images presented as a PDF and thus much more difficult to index, not impossible, just would require conversion to text before indexing. I just used the MK I eyeball.

p.p.s. If the editor would like a copy of what I have you are welcome.

WembleyLion

Replies: 34

Posted: Sat 21st Feb 2015, 7:25pm

Looking up my old News Index (do you remember them?) Nos. 0 to 80 I find the following listed. I append here in no particular order or importance.

G Orton - i15 - p11
G Orton - i43 - p39
J Meacher - i43 - p40
J Meacher - i38 - p24
R Weaver - i54 - p15
R Weaver - i42 - p16
And if you don't like Hackworth try Baker - i55 - p15

I hope this helps.

John

Slowcoach

Replies: 12

Posted: Wed 8th Feb 2017, 6:48pm

There was also a piece by George Smith on setting up Hackworth VG. My original Roger Marsh drawings have some instructions on setting the gear once it is installed. By the way, my name is Meatcher, not Meacher and I was Editor of the News in the mid 1980s. Rodney was one of my stalwart contributors upon whom I could always rely if I was short of copy. Jack, Member 191

Tony G

Posted: Wed 8th Feb 2017, 7:24pm

Thanks for chipping in Jack! John W has sorted out his difficulties with the help from Bob Gray - and the loco is now running well!

Tony

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot