« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Royal Scot Steel Boiler

Rick54

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Fri 17th Feb 2017, 8:05pm
Royal Scot Steel Boiler

Hi. I have currently embarked on the restoration of Bassett Lowke built Royal Scot 7 1/4" gauge. There is much to do as it is has been abandoned in boxes for numerous years. The loco has no boiler currently and I have been looking into the options for a replacement. The loco was of the henry Greenly design and the drawings show a copper boiler of 9" diameter, however tube that size is hard to source & a ready built boiler is very expensive. With this in mind I am investigating options for a steel boiler and was wondering if someone knows of anyone fitting a steel boiler to this loco and where I could obtain drawings for such a steel boiler that has been approved. Any input to this would be much appreciated.

Replies To This Post

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Fri 17th Feb 2017, 10:40pm

No need. Go to any of the 'normal' steel boiler makers with the copper boiler drawing to show major outer dimensions etc. And they'll be more than happy to take it from there. Some time later, they'll present you with a CE marked steel boiler, all good to go and with insurance company paperwork to prove its provenance.

Rick54

Topics: 2

Replies: 2

Posted: Tue 14th Mar 2017, 10:26pm

Hi. Took your advice on this, and I have now just placed an order for a steel boiler with Andrew Kirk of Holt boilers. He has taken on the design, approval, build and certification. I now have more time to track down the missing castings.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot