« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Safety Valves...

Peter

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Sun 15th Sep 2013, 7:38pm
Safety Valves...

Recently our boiler inspector said we needed to cross drill our safety valves and fit a locking screw device, I am not too sure how this is done, or if it is required. Have just read the green boiler test code book and the only reference is in section 11.9 which states "safety valves which are found to alter their set position during operation allowing the uncontrolled release of the boiler contents shall be fitted with some form of locking device to prevent this happening" I have been involved the operation of both of our locomotives for nearly 10 years and the safety valves have never needed to be reset because they have started to unwind themselves. Would it be considered mandatory for me to have to do this work them?

Replies To This Post

Peter

Posted: Mon 23rd Sep 2013, 8:46am

Is there any body within this large society who can offer a little bit of advice on this matter?

Peter Beevers

Topics: 3

Replies: 134

Posted: Mon 23rd Sep 2013, 9:35am

My advice is this - is that just because something has worked for 10 years is not, in the eyes of your insurance company, good enough to show that it will do the same for the next 10. And if someone has said it must be locked in place, then locked in place it must be.
My locos all use commercial safety valves, and it is law to have these padlocked or sealed to prevent them being tampered with or altering their opening point by some other means.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Mon 23rd Sep 2013, 11:21am

Reading 11.9 it would seem to me that unless the Safety Valves have displayed this trait in the presence of the B/inspector, or are known to, then it isn't necessary. The proviso being of course, that he has the last word, because he signs the certificate.

If you have a second boiler inspector at your club, does he agree with the first?

Peter

Posted: Thu 26th Sep 2013, 8:48am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I work at a private minature railway where we don't have our own boiler inspector, we always get a chap in from the 7 1/4 society. The safety valves at the moment on one of the locos are of a non standard size (i.e I can't get an off the shelf replacement) what I plan to do is replace the dome cover plate with one bushed and tapped to take an off the shelf valve, however I found it interesting to note that our other loco has an off the shelf valve purchased in the last 2 years with the same design of adjuster, that is one with a threded round disc with several holes in to insert an adjusting tool and turn it,but this came with no locking screw, which again makes me think that if a reputable supplier does not feel the need to produce the valve with a lock screw does the valve really need it?

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Thu 26th Sep 2013, 11:31am

You could probably get away with just drilling and tapping the side of the safety valve body to take a small screw to prevent the round disc from turning.

stephenburnett

Topics: 0

Posted: Mon 30th Sep 2013, 4:28pm

The other way of doing it is to make a new extra long adjusting screw, and the make a thin locknut that locks the adjusting screw to the valve body.

Stephen

Chris B

Topics: 2

Replies: 17

Posted: Mon 30th Sep 2013, 6:47pm

Locking the valve adjustment is covered in the Aussie Boiler Codes. Grub screw lock nuts and tab washer types are mentioned with sketches illustrating the options. Perhaps your boiler inspector has a copy and can show you the suggeted methods rather than just telling you to do something about it.

Alan Pollock

Topics: 6

Replies: 48

Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 3:20pm

Chris as I live in Scotland and have niver heard of it done the Aussie way is there any chance you could upload it onto this forum as am interested in seeing that

Thanks
Alan

Alan Pollock

Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 6:11pm

I fined this hobby more fascinating all the time there are so many ways to make one thing and so many different rules in different country's and there's only one aim to enjoy our self playing trains

Alan Pollock

Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 6:24pm

I fined this hobby more fascinating all the time there are so many ways to make one thing and so many different rules in different country's and there's only one aim to enjoy our self playing trains

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot