« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Self-build Coaches

KFD

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Wed 11th Mar 2015, 3:58pm
Self-build Coaches

As a new person to this gauge but active in other gauges 0, 00 and N im quite confident in building and welding, but I have a question that I hope the group can answer.
Are there plans for ride on coaches? Ive seen there are kits and pre built coaches, but I have the time and want to do myself.

I could scale up a coach from existing plans, but if there is something out there already available, I would appreciate some guidance / assistance.

Replies To This Post

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Wed 11th Mar 2015, 8:12pm

I can supply kits for sit-astride coaches, laser cut and pre-folded. A body takes about an hour and a half to weld up, the same for a bogie frame. Not cheap, but very quick.

KFD

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 12th Mar 2015, 9:34am

Thanks Colin, I have access to a fabrication shop and am a coded welder so ideally all I need access to is a plan.

Thank you for your reply

colinedmondson

Topics: 3

Replies: 82

Posted: Mon 16th Mar 2015, 8:49pm

I think if you take a look at all the photos on the web site you are bound to find something that you like, and scale it to suit your railway. Alternatively look for the 7 1/4 group on facebook, if you pose a question there you should be inundated with answers, some of which might even be sensible!
Starting choices are many, fixed seats or sit-astride, 4 wheel or bogie, number of passengers per coach, minimum radius curves, do you need a well for low centre of gravity, or can you persuade passengers not to wriggle. If they will stay still a much lighter construction will do, otherwise a good chunk of weight low down will help. Do you need easy entry or can you have sides that folk climb over? The initial choices are endless, hence the suggestion that looking at photos first and making your own drawings might be the way to go. Good luck with your project.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot