Replies: 109

Posted: Thu 14th Dec 2017, 1:49pm
Single Axle Bogies

Replies To This Post

Mike

Topics: 1

Replies: 2

Posted: Sun 17th Dec 2017, 4:15pm

I have been interested in this concept for quite a while. It's not a new idea as quite a lot of 4wheel trams had stear able wheels but they were connected to opposit corners of the single axle bogie. If you put the question into Google they have a lot of pictures. And diagrams. A good few years ago a 7 1/4 tram was described by the builder had used quite a simple way of doing this. As I recollect it was something like a steam loco bogie and you used light springs to centre the bogie but there was a enough movement to allow the wheels to turn about 5 degrees. Also Hornby Railways used a simple design to allow long wheel base wagon to go round tight curves on 16 mm gauge track.
I have been interested in this concept for quite a while. It's not a new idea as quite a lot of 4wheel trams had stear able wheels but they were connected to opposit corners of the single axle bogie. If you put the question into Google they have a lot of pictures. And diagrams. A good few years ago a 7 1/4 tram was described by the builder had used quite a simple way of doing this. As I recollect it was something like a steam loco bogie and you used light springs to centre the bogie but there was a enough movement to allow the wheels to turn about 5 degrees. Also Hornby Railways used a simple design to allow long wheel base wagon to go round tight curves on 16 mm gauge track.

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 31

Replies: 109

Posted: Sun 17th Dec 2017, 7:05pm

Thanks Mike the amount of stuff on Google is mind boggling only taken a quick look up to now. I imagine a 5 degree swivel would be enough but the mathematics for working this out are beyond me.

Sorry this subject has got 2 threads it happened when I went to edit the original perhaps as soon as an admin spots this they can be merged?

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot