« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Single Axle Bogies

HauteSaoneFrance

Topics: 31

Replies: 108

Posted: Thu 14th Dec 2017, 1:49pm
Single Axle Bogies

My standard radius is 30ft (9.14m) I believe that using a 20 times multiplier max wheelbase of Loco's and rolling stock would be limited to about 1 ft 6 in (0.46 m) Just about acceptable for my SRS 0-6-0 Felbhan the CMD Knight 0-4-0 and the Phoenix Vale of Festiniog which has twin bogies. Immediate planned rolling stock will use close coupled bogies but I'm also planning rolling stock with a single axle at each end and if long wheelbase it could present a problem. I imagine this could be solved by the single axle being a bogie rather than rigidly fixed to the chassis. Any info on this would be appreciated and are such bogies available to buy commercially?

Replies To This Post

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 17th Dec 2017, 9:42am

No replies I see and thinking about this I'm wondering if my thinking is basically flawed? Unlike a close coupled 4 wheel bogie Would a single axle that can turn as a bogie be in danger of say hitting a stone on one side causing it to swivel and derail. Any other ideas about coping with a longer wheelbase given my track radius without the need to go to twin 4 wheel bogies?

PS Please can admin delete the duplicated topic heading, Thanks

Mick

Topics: 8

Replies: 144

Posted: Sun 17th Dec 2017, 9:49am

If you google Cleminson axles images you will see lots of illustration as to how this can be done. Cleminson patented a six wheel, three axles system. but it will work with two axles. Each wheelset is pivoted the same way as a four wheel bogie, but the two are joined by triangular frames, one has a hole and the other a long pin which can slide in and out as the axles twist relative to each other. I think it's worth a try!
If you google Cleminson axles images you will see lots of illustration as to how this can be done. Cleminson patented a six wheel, three axles system. but it will work with two axles. Each wheelset is pivoted the same way as a four wheel bogie, but the two are joined by triangular frames, one has a hole and the other a long pin which can slide in and out as the axles twist relative to each other. I think it's worth a try!

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 17th Dec 2017, 7:13pm

Thank Mick and apologies about the two threads running, That's a very interesting pic, I see the principal clever but simple. Not googled it yet but will do, as I said to Mike on the other thread there is a staggering amount of stuff on this subject

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Sun 14th Jan 2018, 6:40pm

Has anyone on here built such a long wheelbase single axle truck to the Cleminon principal or had running experience?

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 42

Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2018, 2:33pm

Some years ago there was an artical in the News regarding Cleminson axles that were made and sucesfully fitted to 7 1/4 carraiges. I've no idea which News this was (Probably over five years ago) but it will be in the News archive.

Happy hunting. John

Magpie

Topics: 0

Replies: 2

Posted: Wed 17th Jan 2018, 9:44pm

I have been using single axle bogies for years. My railway has 11 foot 6 inch radius curves, See News No. 23. In 1974 I built a 4 wheeled passenger carrage,72 inches long with a 30 inch radial axle wheelbase, to be pulled by my Tramcar, 60 inches long with 18 inch fixed wheelbase. See the News No. 41 & 43. I have since built a 4 wheeled Corris style guards van 54 inches long with 25 inch wheelbase with radial axles and 2 goods waggons of similar dimensions, these 2 waggons were seen at the Leyland AGM. The radial axle rolling stock has to be controlled by an adjoining piece of rolling stock. I hope that this information is helpful. My 7 1/4 News items give added information.

HauteSaoneFrance

Posted: Thu 18th Jan 2018, 12:18pm

Thanks John (Wembley Lion) couldn't find the archive references at around 5 years ago but John (Magpie) to the rescue pointing to his articles of 30 years ago in issue 41 and 43 Thanks so much for that John hugely informative to the extent that I'm going to have a go at construction to you're principles. I guessed it could be done and even though I'm working on 30 ft radius that is still restrictive if adhering to the 20 times wheelbase rule.

A word of thanks from me a relative newbie for the advice I have had on here and of course the archive going back to day one

WembleyLion

Topics: 2

Replies: 42

Posted: Thu 18th Jan 2018, 2:14pm

My! don't time fly. I must have seen the 41 & 43 articals shortly after I joined the Society.

Thirtyone years of great fun and brilliant friendships. My thanks to you all.

John

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot