« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Sound units

brianmason

Topics: 7

Replies: 11

Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 9:49pm
Sound units

How would we install a Dallee S1/2/3/4 switcher sound unit in our 12volt powered 'diesel' with a 4QD controller, and what kind of speakers would we need? Any suggestions with ideas of a wiring diagram would be very welcome !
Many thanks Guys
Bran M ALRC

Replies To This Post

stoneleigh

Topics: 1

Replies: 31

Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 9:56pm

Why not ask 4QD? I've always found them very helpful, plus I think they may even run larger gauge locos. of their own.

Keithf7

Topics: 0

Replies: 19

Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 6:44am

Normally Dallee supply installation instructions with their systems. Why not email Dale or Lee and ask for a copy? The brand of motor controller generally has no bearing on the sound unit. The unit will probably have connections for DC power,(be careful to use the correct voltage), two output wires go to the amplifier or speakers and two wires which pick up the signal from the motors.
My experience with speakers is to fit the largest you can physically fit into your loco ! Larger size speakers handle the bass tones better and there is a lot of bottom end in diesel loco sound signatures. If you don't have a lot of room mount a 3-way elliptical (8x5in). Make sure they are compatible with your amplifier, 4, 8 or 16 ohm and that they can handle the output ( wattage) of the amplifier. Mount them in an enclosure for better response across the low and mid frequency range. I am in the members book if you want to call me and discuss further. Good luck with your project.
Keith McDonald

brianmason

Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 2:15pm

Thanks so much for your speedy replies, I will follow up....
Brian M

Thomas Adler

Topics: 0

Replies: 2

Posted: Wed 26th Mar 2014, 6:43pm

The best sound for the loco will come from an active car audio subwoofer. Choose the one that fills the available space. These things are cheap and create deep tones, that you can feel.
You don´t have to mess around with ohms and amplifiers. Only connect the black box with four wires.
The sound module is controlled from the motor voltage. I use one, that has the number USM RC-2 from this source:
http://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/index.php
It is programmable direct in the loco by USB with the sound you want.

Thomas

brianmason

Posted: Thu 27th Mar 2014, 6:14pm

Hi Thomas
Thanks for that, very interesting, we are getting there !
Brian M

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Thu 27th Mar 2014, 9:32pm

Thomas

Thanks for that, however where do you get the loco sounds from?

Cheers

Roger

Vulcan

Topics: 1

Replies: 8

Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2014, 9:54am

I use 2 makes of sound system namely made by (a) Mtronics - good but expensive and the much simpler and cheaper TRAX unit which is less sophisticated and much cheaper but works fine.
As these are fitted to small 7.25s I don't indulge in additional line amplifiers. Keith F7's point about mounting them in a proper enclosure is very relevant as it greatly improves the performance. The enclosure should be made of non resonating material. Wood is fine and if you can line it with felt or thin foam all the better. It is important for best efficiency to make sure that the impedance of the speaker (valued in ohms) is matched to the amplifier/ sound card output.

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2014, 11:53am

Hi All
My only foray into the world of sound units is the horn on my F7 unit, this is a sampled horn (nabbed from the world wide web) recorded into a module intended for a childrens toy (from Maplin). The audio out of this is connected into a 24 Volt powered amplifier, also from Maplin and fed to a car speaker. OK, but I would do it differently now....
Today there are many very good car audio units available with either aux in (3.5mm stereo analogue) or USB ports for very little money that would be ideal amplifiers - at least i believe so.
There is also a marvellous device called a Raspberry Pi which is a computer for £25 !!!!
This has multiple I/O pins that can be triggered from the loco control panel in parallel with the primary control functions and can play out pre-recorded files from its memory card through a 3.5mm stereo jack (see where I am going here ?). Whether these sound files are generated, synthesised, or real captured sound files is of no consequence, either are fine.
So for under £100 you have a fully functional, flexible sound system with decent level of audio output - voila !

All you need now is someone who can code in Python to make it all work - I am sure there is someone on this forum ?!

In due course I will have a go at this myself, but at present time does not permit.

Good luck to anyone who can make a go of it though :-)

Cheers, Ivan.

rogerbrown

Topics: 6

Replies: 35

Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2014, 10:44pm

Would that be a "Brian" Ivan?

Regards

Roger

ivanhewlett

Topics: 8

Replies: 53

Posted: Wed 2nd Apr 2014, 9:01am

Hi Roger and All

OK, I should have seen that one coming....
No, not Brian - 'He's a very naughty boy !'

Seriously though I can think of at least one person at the East Herts who could put this together for you.

Cheers, Ivan.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot