« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Steel boiler for 7.25 "Tich"

Airspeed

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Wed 14th Jan 2015, 10:57am
Steel boiler for 7.25 "Tich"

My drawings for this loco show 10g copper for the boiler wrapper, back head, etc. I should like to make the boiler using steel sheet: I would like to know if you can use a thinner sheet, And if so, What size ?. Also would the boiler tubes need to be of the same gauge as copper, Or could they be smaller as well ?.

Replies To This Post

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Wed 14th Jan 2015, 7:07pm

The simple answer is no you can't! A steel boiler has to be design approved in every detail and welded by a qualified welder. The steel has to be to spec and traceable. Unlike a copper boiler it's not a DIY job. I suggest you get hold of a copy of the 'Safe Operation of Pressure Systems in Model Engineering' and check out the boiler regulations. There may be a design already published but I'm not aware of it - perhaps someone else can help on that score.

Airspeed

Topics: 1

Replies: 1

Posted: Thu 15th Jan 2015, 4:09am

Thanks' Mick, That's that one then. I do know a coded welder that would help me, But the rest sounds difficult and expensive.

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Thu 15th Jan 2015, 11:00am

Mick is spot on. For these things your first port of call should be your local boiler inspector, for advice. I also have not heard of anyone having a steel Tich boiler.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot