Sign In above to begin adding replies.

Swan neck elbows for vacuum pipes

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 13th Jan 2015, 11:45am

Can anyone help me source swan neck elbows for vacuum pipes for loco/tender please? PNP on their web site say they will sell their parts individually then have point blank refused to do so!

Replies To This Post

johnnicholson

Topics: 12

Replies: 68

Posted: Tue 13th Jan 2015, 10:49pm

Mick

We are starting to fit line braking to Millerbeck stock. There are also three locos that require them. I am virtually there in manufaturing a full set of jigs to manufacture these from round bar. The jigs are all blocked up and are in the finishing stages and mainly require the component seats machining. The elbows will be 3/4" dia with a 50 degree internal angle and a leg length of either 45 or 50 mm long. The elbows will be tapped for 1/4" BSP taper and the outlet can be fitted with a pipe outlet or quick release coupling or a fitting for airline nylon 6 mm pipe. I am going away from the polyurethane or fish tank type tube for stock as cold winters play havoc with the pipe joints especially where they are stretched over a fitting.
For the bottom buffer beam fitting I have also made a turning fixture to produce a block elbow with an external 1/4 BSP parallel thread so that a locking nut can be screwed up to support the pipe to the buffer beam and then a fitting for the pipe of choice can be srewed on to the stud thread. The other hole in the block is at 90 degrees and tapped 1/4 BSP taper for a 180 mm 1/4 BSP steel pipe.

John Nicholson

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Wed 14th Jan 2015, 7:44am

Thanks for the quick response John. That's excellent news, I'll be in touch regarding fitting out our three Thomas 2's. We do use plastic tubing for our vacuum with airline type connectors and don't have much trouble (carriages stored in heated buildings)although lately mice have eaten through a pipe!

alan

Topics: 0

Replies: 9

Posted: Wed 28th Jan 2015, 10:57am

I am intending to fit my locos and stock with vac brakes,there is a convoluted plastic tube available that is very flexible,and looks the part,and quick release fittings in brass of a claw pattern,that are sold for greenhouse watering hoses;(a bit like a smaller version of the connectors used on jack hammers)they came from j and l supplies. I was going to use 15mm copper endfeed soldered fittings for the standpipe and swan neck,but 135 degree fittings are no longer available,a 45 plus a 90 looks reasonable when painted black. Nothing like scale fittings,but to me they look ok for the narrow gauge locos. kind regards,Alan potter.

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot