« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Sign In above to begin adding replies.

TENDER TANK DESIGN

howard snowden

Topics: 5

Replies: 5

Posted: Mon 26th Mar 2012, 7:39pm
TENDER TANK DESIGN

Hi all, I am presently building a BR std 1F type tender tank for my 9F and looking for some practical advice. It seems to me that to replicate the full scale design of the coal space with tapered chute plates, is probably not suited to our scale for moving coal from the tender to the fire hole. Can anyone give me some practical advice on the layout from their experience. Fitting sloping coal chute plates also makes fitting support columns for driver seating, somewhat difficult. Thanks Howard

Replies To This Post

johnmills

Topics: 1

Replies: 9

Posted: Sun 29th Sep 2013, 5:15am

Howard,
This may be too late for you as I have only just noticed your question. I have recently completely a BR1C tender and included a horizontal portion just ahead of the rear plate for the drivers seat and a flat slope from there to the front. Once it is full of coal, the actual shape disappears! Tender design is a balance as you often need as much water capacity as possible. In my case I fitted a welded stainless tank inside the tender body which avoids the need to make the body watertight. Not to scale but it works well as this the third one I made of these. Hope this helps.
Howard,
This may be too late for you as I have only just noticed your question. I have recently completely a BR1C tender and included a horizontal portion just ahead of the rear plate for the drivers seat and a flat slope from there to the front. Once it is full of coal, the actual shape disappears! Tender design is a balance as you often need as much water capacity as possible. In my case I fitted a welded stainless tank inside the tender body which avoids the need to make the body watertight. Not to scale but it works well as this the third one I made of these. Hope this helps.

brianlee

Topics: 1

Replies: 14

Posted: Sat 15th Mar 2014, 9:27pm

Hello Howard
I have built a 3 1/2 G BR 1F Standard tender. You need to decide what material to build the tender . Most difficult part are the tender sides as they are rounded at the bottom and the top is bent in around a curved former. You need to decide on what material to use. I would use 16 swg Brass sheet and if you are going to sit on it , the top inside needs to be re-enforced to carry the weight. I have built several tenders and re- enforce the top with rectangular brass tube around 2 inch by 1 inch.
Regards
Brian Lee

« Back to Engines and Rolling Stock Topics

Web design by Slingshot